Safe keeping

Adu was lying wide awake staring at the ceiling. He still could not believe the happenings of the day. He was still in shock. "She hates me. She really hates me. Enna paathu konjam kooda happy ya illai ya Gayu maa? May be she has moved on." He thought. He quickly jumped out of the bed and walked towards his suitcase. He opened it up and pulled out the portable safety box. He kept his important documents in there and always carried it with him. He peeked in for the envelope and there it was. Still intact. The small yellow envelope. He picked it up a looked at it, placed it close to his heart and closed his eyes. He stood there for a few minutes before placing it back in and locked the safety box. He put it back where it belongs. Then he grabbed his car keys and went on a drive, not knowing where to.

Next morning, Gayu came to work literally dragging herself. She was late and Chef was already there. She walked in with her cup of black coffee. Chef was about to yell at her but one look at her told him that she had not slept all night. He glanced and Sindhuja. She nodded and grabbed Gayu's arm and dragged her to the break room. "Gayu, ennadi aachu unakku? Night fulla thoongaliya? Nethu oru officer un kitta pesinadhu paathen. Edha nu vambu paninaana?" Then with a sudden twinkle in her eyes she said, "Oh no! Was it a one night stand? Did he keep you up all night? Handsome aa thaan irundhaan manishan. Thappu illai. Oooo it is every girl's fantasy to have an affair with a man in uniform" she said dreamily and Gayu smacked her. "Chi yen di un budhi ippidi pordhu. Naan andha maadiri kedayadhu nu unakku theriyum liya? Kanda padi pesadhe. Adhellam onnum illai." Sindhu frowned at her but continued, "Appo ennathaan aachu? Avar unkitta pesina aparam nee kitchen vittu varave illai. Adhukku aparam un moonji yum seri illai. Edhavudhu complain panninara avar? Adiye vaaya thorandhu solla poriya Illiya?" Gayu took a sip of her coffee and sighed, "Avar thaan ennoda Adi maams" she said and put her head down. Sindhu was confused and started saying, "Enna Adi......ohhhhhhhh Adi Maams aa? Unnoda ex aa?" Gayu immediately slapped her said, "Poi vaaya nanna wash pannu dee paithiyakaari. Avar ex ellam illai." Sindhu nodded and said, "Adhu seri. Unnoda behavior appidi thaan irundhudhu. Ex illai na yaaru? Nee thaan thirumbi paakama vandutiye?"

Gayu said, "He is not my ex. Atleast not yet. Kadavul set pannarara nu pakkaren. Anniki CBE lerndhu varadhukku munnadi naan avarukku oru letter vachuttu vandhen. Adha naan avar kitta kudukalai. Naan adhu vachadhu yaarukkum theriyadhu. Adha Swamy shelf la vachuttu anniki kadavul ku oru challenge vechen. Adhu avar kaiku kedakanum nu irundha adhu kadavul aala nadakattum nu. Inniki varakkum enakku theriyadhu adhu avar kaiku pochaa nu. Ennoda birthday anniki enakku theriyum. Avar ennoda birthday Annikki enna meet panna varuvaar. Adhu thaan challenge so adhukku munnadi avara paatha udane naan shock ayitten. Andha last day, last conversation ellam flash back madiri vandhudhu. I wasn't ready to see him. My love for him is still as strong as before but I need to know if we are meant to be. If he is meant to be mine then kadavul setting will happen, if not then he was never mine in the first place. I will move on. Until then I am keeping my fingers crossed" she said.

Sindhu slapped her forehead and said, "nee paithiyama illai naan paithiyama? Nee sollardhu oru ezhavum puriyala. Ennamo po nee aachu unnoda maams aachu. Andha aallum Unna maadiri konjam loose nu nenaikaren. Avan thanniyum adikkama endha ponnu koodayum pesama thaniya ukkandhu irundhan. Che namakellam onnum amaya maatengardhu. Ippidi rendu loose idhukku ellam 17 vayasula deiveega kaadhal." Gayu laughed at Sindhu and pinched her cheek saying, "Seri vaa poi aaga vendiyadha paarkalam.

Adu on the other hand was very distracted the entire day. All he could think of was Gayu's glare. Her beautiful large eyes. Lieutenant Ram knocked on Adu's office saying, "Lieutenant, we have the new batch of boys. Ready to meet them?" Adu quickly got a hold of himself and nodded. He stood up, adjusted his cap saying, "Let's do this."

Brinda Subramanian