Safe haven

Two years passed by just like that. Adu and Gayu still felt like the newly married ones. Life together was blissful both personally as well as professionally. Although, Gayu still had jitters when Adu's work phone buzzed, she was slowly getting used to it.

One breezy evening, the love birds finished their walk at the beach and decided to sit down to watch the sun set. They picked a rather quiet spot where there wasn't a whole lot of traffic. Gayu's tiny fingers were entwined with Adu's long dainty ones. She pulled closer to him and rested her head on his shoulder. They did not need to talk to communicate. They were perfectly fine, sitting quietly in each other's company. The orange sun was almost set. The sky looked auburn and it reflected on the water. Waves splashing and playing with each other gave a sense of happiness and peace. Gayu smiled and said, "Maams I am ready." He kissed the top of her head and said, "Edhukku maa?" She placed his hand on her stomach and said, "Enakku Amma aaganum. Let's try Maams. Let us start a family. Innike, ippove oru kutty, Unna maadiriye." He smiled and said, "Enakkum romba aasaiya thaan irukku aana unakku innum time venumna eduthukko. You are still young." She stared at him in disbelief and said, "Naan young thaan but unakku thaan vayasachu. Paaru, ippove angange naracha mudi, kannu keezha bags. Sotta vizhardhu kulla Appa ayidanum." It was his turn to look at her in shock. Isn't there a filter between her brain and mouth, he wondered. He pouted and said, "Ennama ippidi solitte? Are you not attracted to me anymore?" That's when she realized that he was truly hurt and she quickly said, "Vayasaanalum unga azhagum stylum innum maarave illai maams." He nodded at her and frowned, "Adhu seri. Neelambari madiri thaan maa pesare nee."

Three months after that evening, Gayu realized she was pregnant when her monthly visitor did not show up. A home pregnancy test showed two blue lines. Adu was thrilled but they went to a gynecologist that Radhu recommended, to get it confirmed. Adu kept Gayu very happy through out her pregnancy. Not only did he make sure that she ate and drank well. He also forced her to take enough rest. Gayu was very active and did not let her pregnancy be a hindrance. The monthly check ups were going well.

Third trimester was a little tough on her. Adu took up another job of being her masseuse. Neck massage, back massage and foot massage became a daily routine but he was often given a return gift of love. Massage often led to foreplay. Whenever Adu got a little wary Gayu would whisper, "Sexual intimacy during pregnancy is healthy for both mother and baby. Enakku endha complications um illai so bayapadadha maams." That was enough for him but he was always gentle and careful.

Finally, one winter morning, Gayu's water broke and she was taken to the hospital which was only 5 km's away. After 14 hours of labor, a baby's scream echoed the hospital. A beautiful, 6lbs 12ounce, baby girl had entered their beautiful world. Adu kissed Gayu's forehead. Both were overwhelmed and had tears of happiness. After getting introduced to her mom first, the baby was cleaned and bundled up for Dad to meet. The moment Adu held her, he knew she was the most precious thing in his world. The baby was asleep but he smiled and cooed knowing that he was her safe haven. Ashika was going to transform their life forever.

Parenthood was blissful.

Brinda Subramanian