Time off

Training kept Adu extremely busy. He had a cadet of 30 young officers who he had to train with the basic skills and had to send them to Vishakapatnam to his counterpart to be able to give them submarine training. Though Gayu was in his mind, he had to set her aside for two weeks, right after which was the biggest challenge, he birthday. He had to figure that out and his mind drifted back to the envelope which was safely sitting in his locker.

Meanwhile, Gayu had been promoted to a senior position. After her brilliant job in planning and executing the banquet, chef Rajesh had recommended her for his job (chef de parties) while he took the role of sous chef. She still reported to him though. One morning, after delegating responsibilities, she walked up to Chef Rajesh's office and took a peek. His head was buried in a bunch of books. He was looking for something important. She knocked at his door and without looking up he said, "Come on in." She stepped in saying, "Good morning Chef. Sorry to disturb you but can I have a word with you please?" He looked up and smiled, "GM, sollu how can I help you? Is someone bothering you?" She smiled and nodded saying, "oh no no Chef. I have the best team. This is something else. I need a few days off, if possible." Chef Rajesh looked up thinking, "Hmmm... unnoda time bucket la ethana hours irukku? I know you have not taken a single day off. So at least oru 7 days irukaname" he asked and she nodded. "yes sir, ennoda birthday varudhu two weeks la so orruku poi rendu naan Appa Amma kooda irundhuttu varalaamnu irukken sir. It has been over a year since I moved here and have never gone back home since. Avaalalayum hospital a vittutu varudhu kashtam. So..." she dragged. He smiled and said, "I have no issues as long as the kitchen does not get disrupted. Unnoda second in charge, Rahul kitta temporary ya take over panna chollu and for a week, let him take charge while you observe. Just get everything going with HR. I will sign the approval." He said and looked at his book again. She said and quick thank you and was about to leave when Chef Rajesh said, "Unnoda 21st birthday thaane? Welcome to adulthood my child. Life is going to be a roller coaster ride for sure. Hang in there tightly and enjoy the adventure" he laughed. She smiled back saying, "Thank you Chef. Can't wait to see what life has to offer" and trotted back to her kitchen.

That night she went home and changed but before going to bed she opened the drawer next to her bed and searched for something. After searching for a while her hand reached it and she smiled. "idho irukku okay. Idha kai ethara edathula vekkaren" and she moved it up to the upper draw which would be at arms length from her bed. Then she said he little prayer and plopped her head on the soft pillow.

Adu reached home after a long tiring day. After he freshened up and finished dinner, he too got ready to go to bed but not without opening up his locker to hold the envelope once more. It had been his daily ritual for the past 4 years.

Brinda Subramanian