Epilogue

On a summer day, along with the rise of the sun, the hospital walls echoed to the sound of a baby crying. After hours of labor and few minutes of panic, finally Agastya had taken his first breath. A healthy 7lbs 12 ounce baby boy had become the newest member of the family. Gayu was exhausted, yet she was eager to meet her baby boy, who was placed on her chest to meet mommy. A few minutes later, after getting all cleaned up, he got introduced to his Dad.  Adu was thrilled to be a father yet again but he wanted to see Gayu, who had gone through a bit of a complication during labor. The baby's head had gotten stuck in the birth canal. Gayu kept pushing but the baby wasn't budging. Unfortunately, the baby wasn't getting enough oxygen and the vitals began to drop. The doctors had to decide on an immediate c-section. The baby's lips were bluish but he quickly broke into a wail and the colors were back in his face. Gayu had to be stitched up before being taken to recovery room.

Adu rushed to the room to see her. She was clearly exhausted. She looked tinier than usual and her face looked pale. The doctor told him that she had lost some blood. With the c-section, recovery would be a little longer and her body needed time to recoup.  Adu went next to Gayu. She was asleep. He held her hand and kissed it. Then he leaned and kissed her forehead. She slowly opened her eyes and touched his cheeks. In a soft voice she said, "Un pullaya pathiya? Unna maadiriye irukan la?" He smiled and said, "illai, appidiye Unna uruchu vachirukkan. Seri nee romba tired aa iruppe. Nee rest edu. Naan aathukku poitu apparama varen." She nodded but her eyes were too tired to remain open.

After 4 days, Gayu and Agastya were home. Ashika was thrilled to meet her younger brother but was even more excited because not only were her Sivu paati and Thaatha were here but also her Radhuma and Manipa had arrived. She was getting all the attention in the world so she was more than happy to sacrifice her amma and daddy for her baby brother. It was very helpful for Gayu as well because she got to rest really well. She got the nourishment, pampering and help that she needed at this time to recover and in a couple of months, she was up and about. Agastya was a hungry boy who ate well, slept well and grew well. He was a good baby and soon he got into a decent schedule.

Sinduja and Rahul took full care of the cafe. Adu had taken early retirement and had started a consultancy to recruit officers. Finally, after the two months appointment, the pediatrician had given the green signal to take the baby out. So the entire family decided to take him to the place they all loved, the beach. It was indeed a treat to watch Sivu and Achchu walking with Ashika, who was holding their hands and trying to swing. She laughed out loudly when they pulled her up from the ground so her legs could sway. Following right behind were Radhu and Manikandan, pushing Agastya on his stroller. Last but not the least, Gayu and Adu walked hand in hand. It was a gorgeous sight for the angels who blessed them and beautiful rainbow appeared.

They all stopped in awe to admire this beautiful phenomena. Life was beautiful.

Brinda Subramanian

There you go guys! This story comes to an end. You have all enjoyed this journey of the three couples from different times. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing these as well. I am going to miss you all immensely. I do not have a plot in mind for now but if and when that happens, I will return. Here is a final glimpse of my lead characters:

Ananthasivan - Sivakaami; Manikandan - Radhika; Adiya Krishnan and Gayathri

Ashika

Agastya

Agastya.