Wedding bells

Gayu's parents had bought a beautiful old house in CBE, which they had fixed up but had kept the traditional style intact. This house had been a haven for them for the past few years. They went there to spend some quiet time and to also get the feel of a traditional home. The house was large and open, very similar to the palakkad house Radhu had visited and had met Sivu for the first time. Right from the time they had bought the house, Gayu's dream had been to get married their. Both Gayu and Adu were specific about a small wedding. They wanted only the most important people in their life to be invited. They did not like the idea of spending lavishly on unnecessary things. Gayu's parents were both doctors and money was not an issue but they had both worked very hard to make that money and Gayu didn't think it was fair to throw away that hard earned money. So, 2 months after, Adu's return, the wedding was finalized.

The house looked inviting with the pandal on either side and the maavillai thoranam. You could hear the sound of women and men talking and laughing with children running around. Sambu mama and his team had already set up their kitchen on the back end. The aatukattul/ swing was beautifully decorated with marigold on the chains. The main hall was beautifully decorated with kolam and palagai were placed appropriately. Adu snuck into the kitchen and whispered something to the young helper boy, who smiled and ran inside. He came back hiding something under his towel and handed it to him. Adhu smiled and thanked him quickly. He then slowly walked to the room where Gayu was getting ready and knocked at the door. In a few moments, the door slightly opened and Aishu peeked, "Enna da? Enna venum unakku? Inge enna pannarey. Vadhyar mama Unna thedindu irukka pora." Adu answered impatiently, "Avala koopdu oru nimisham." Aishu glared at him saying, "Dei paithiyama da nee. Kalyanathukku minnala ponna paarka pdadhu, theriyadha unakku." Adu rolled his eyes and said, "Ada akka avala oorlerndhu kooteendu vandhadhe naan thaan. Adhellam onnu illai. Nee koopdu avalo. Adho paaru un kozhandhai azharaan. Avana poi paaru po." Aishu shut the door and a few seconds later the door opened and Gayu peeked smiling. Adu's jaw dropped. She looked absolutely gorgeous in a red saree with green border. She decided to wear a green sleeveless blouse. Her hair was tied up in a bun with jasmine around. He winked at her and said, "ennoda pondaati varadhukku munnadi unkitta onnu sollanum" she giggled, he continued saying, "Modhalla un kaiya neetu". She opened her palm and stretched it out. He placed the item he was holding. Her eyes lit up and she said, "haiii laddoo. Thanks maams. Enakke actually konjam pasikkardhu" and she took a bite. He quickly kissed her and took a bite of the laddoo from her mouth for which she said, "chi adhu echal" and quickly swallowed the piece which was in her mouth. He smiled and said, "Oho adhu echal na Appo idhu?" And kissed her again. She blushed and said, "idhu vera, seri enkitta edho sollanum nu sonniyame, ennadhu?" He quickly said, "Naan idhu unkitta sonnen nu en pondaati kitta solladhe ok, I love you." She blushed yet again and giggled. He pouted and said, "Oii thiruppi solla maatiya?" She cutely said, "Ayayo ennoda aathukaararku therinja avvalo thaan. Avar Navy aal aakum theriyuma? Indha "I love you" sonna vaailiye onnu kuthuvaar." He pulled up his sleeves like he was preparing to fight someone and said, "hmmm.... Naanum lesu patta aal ellam illai. Naanum oru rowdy, theriyuma?" That made her laugh out loudly. Just then Aishu came back saying, "Adiyey Gayu, porum di. Ivan tholla thaangala. Dei poda kaasi yaathrai ku time agardhu. Ippove unga rendu peroda attahaasam thaangaliye, kalyanathukku aparam enellam paarkanamo?" Gayu promptly replied, "Akka don't worry, Neenga onnum paarka maatel" then she winked at him and said, "athellam honeymoon la naanga paathukarom." Adu couldn't believe what she said and ran from there a blushing mess.

Maapillai was invited back from kaasiyaathrai and the bride approached him. They exchanged garland with the aunties singing in unison, "Maalai maathinaal kodhai Maalai maathinaal" then they sat on the swing where they were fed the paalum pazhamum. Gayu was handed over the koora pudavai. In a few minutes she came out looking like a million buck in the maroon madisaar. With the blessings of all the elders, well-wishers and near and dear ones Adu tied the thaali aroung Gayu's neck. Gayu was beaming. When their eyes met she pouted like she was kissing him and said a quiet, "I love you" and winked at him. He blushed and kissed her forehead. With the angels from above along with the elements, fire, water, earth, air and ether blessing them, they were husband and wife. There was cheer and happiness everywhere.

The following afternoon Adu and Gayu, the newly weds took an jeep and were off to Coonoor. There was a beautiful quaint hilltop resort cottage that they had booked for 4 days. Both of them needed a break after all that had happened in the past year. Adu wore a white t-shirt and jeans and his cooler, which she had gifted. Gayu wore a sleeveless white crop top and a skirt . Her hair was left open and she wore the other couple cooler as well.  The henna still bright maroon on both her hands and legs and the yellow thaali cheradu in her neck, the couple were off for a full on romantic trip.

Brinda Subramanian