Compassion

Gayu made a video call to her parents and showed them the ring and squealed, "Paaru maa paaru. Oru movie range ku proposal maa, adhuvum lighthouse mela, pournami aniki. Aanalum Maams bayangara romantic aalu maa. Unnoda aathukaarar madiri illai." Manikandan quickly peeked and said, "Adiye unga Amma va urugi urugi love paninen. Adhellam oru kaalam. Ippo erunju erunju vizhara. Neeye kelu. Enna kaapathu di kondhey" he begged and Gayu laughed. Then she walked with the phone to the bedroom and shut the door, "Amma innoru vishayam. Nee panic aagadhe ok? Naan Maams kooda move in panna poren. 6 months la engalukku kalyanam ayidum aanalum naangal ippo lerndhu kooda irukalaamnu irukkom. Gokul and avanoda European girl friend madiri. Unkitta cholittu pannanam nu thaan" she hesitated. Radhu thought for a second and said, "Neengal ellam idha kaalathu kuttigal. Jaagardhaiya iru. Naan chollardhu puriyum nu ninaikaren." Gayu blushed and nodded. She knew exactly what her mother was saying.

Adu let his parents know as well. They were used to the idea of living in because their daughter had done the same for two years before getting married to Joe. Gayu did not have a lot of stuff except for clothes. She decided to quickly go home and grab what she needed for the week but the next morning, she let the landlord know that she was moving out. Gayu was happy to wake up in the morning to the smell of fresh filter coffee and come back home to get a leg massage. Adu was happy to start his day by making coffee and breakfast for her and ending the day snuggling with her. It felt like the most natural thing. Both of them were clearly happy and they took that energy to work as well. Sindhu was the first one to notice the ring, "Ei oru vaaram thaane di leave eduthu? Adhukulla engaged? Who? What? Why? How? Where?" Gayu laughed and said, "When the time is right everything just happens in a jiffy? Ennoda Maams is the best thing that happened to me. I was right about his when I was 3, 17 and I am still right about my Navy man. Innonu theriyuma di, he is the best kisser too" she said and giggled. Sindhu whined, "Adi paavi, unakku manasakshiye illiya? Naan oru alayara single nu therinjum ippidi sollariye? Seri un Maams kitta solli enakkum yaarayavudhu set panni tha." Gayu glared at her, "Enna nenachundu irukke? En Maams ku vera velai illai? Avarukku enna love pannardhukke time seriya irukku" she winked.

It was Wednesday and for some reason, Gayu was having a long day with problems after problems. They were short staffed and she was stressed out. She could barely take a look at her phone. Adu on the other hand was having a slow day so he decide to message her asking how her day was going. Usually she would respond promptly but she didn't. They had a office party being hosted and Gayu messed one of the dishes, which was reported to Chef Rajesh, who for the very first time, yelled at her saying they had never got a complain before. "what is this Gayathri? I know that unnoda personal life la there are good things happening but that does not mean you can slack off on your job. This is unacceptable. Get your act together. You may leave now and come back tomorrow morning with a mind set to give your 100% here." Gayu was almost in tears, "Sorry Chef. This will not happen again" she mumbled. He gestured her to leave. She quickly rushed to the kitchen to take her apron off. She asked Rahul and Sindhu to close up and left. She was angry at herself. She was holding on to the tears that were threatening to wet her face.

Adu opened the door and greeted her but she rushed to her room, shut the door and plopped herself on the bed crying. He heard her whimpering but he wasn't sure if she should go in. He gently knocked the door and said, "Maa Gayu maa, enna maa achu? Naan ulla varatuma? Ok naan vara poren." He opened the door to find her crying. He quickly rushed to her and held her. She hugged him tightly and continued to cry. He held her close rubbing her back saying, "shhhh... onnum illai onnum illai. Edhuva irundhaalum paathukalaam." After a few minutes, she slowly started to calm down. Holding on to him, she explained all that happened. He held on to her saying, "Parava illai maa. Mistakes happen. Just prove tomorrow that today was just a bad day and it does not determine who you are. My girl is a rockstar chef and she will prove it, ok?" he kissed her. "nee tired aa iruppe. Go freshen up and I will get you something to eat."

Adu brought her some nice warm rasam sadam and fed her while she stretched her tired legs. After putting the bowl away, he came back to find her laying on the sofa. He quickly lifted her legs and placed them on his thighs, gently massaging it until she dozed off. He turned off the TV and carried her to the bedroom to place her on the bed and covered her with a blanket. He kissed her on the forehead and whispered a good night before turning off the light and walking away to his room.

She needed that kindness and compassion that day to face a new morning.

Brinda Subramanian