Revelation

It was the day before Gayu's birthday. Adu was extremely distracted all day. He could not wait for his day to end. He was getting restless and, for the very first time, he was irritable and short tempered. He did not like what was happening to him but could not help it. Gayu was restless too. Today was very important for her. The angst will end. She will know if there is such a thing called destiny. In other words, will kadavul setting happen? Will Universe give her what she wants? Thankfully, she was only supervising so it was less stressful.

It was almost 8pm when Adu finally was able to close the list file. He let out a sigh of relief and grabbed his suitcase to rush home. He quickly grabbed a wrap on his way home. He freshened up, gobbled up his food. He was ready. He had waited too long for this. For four long years, he had wanted to open that envelope every single day of his life but the time letters on top had stopped him from doing so. It said : "Do not open until the eve of my 21st birthday and don't reach out to me or anyone else about me until you read this. This is a promise you will keep." Finally, the day had arrived and Adu was nervous. He had no clue what was going to be revealed to him. He slowly opened the locker and pulled out the yellow envelope. He held it in his hand for a moment before walking with it to his bed and sat down. He had a paper knife, with which, he carefully opened the envelope and peeked in. He pulled out the piece of paper. It was a letter. His heart was literally pounding. He opened it up and started reading the neatly written letter:

My dear Adi Mama,

Eppidi irukkel? Indha letter a Neenga padikkirel na kadavul setting step one nadandhirukku nu artham. Yenna indha envelope unga kannuku pattadhu periya vishayam. Adha Neenga eduthu ungalukku nu neenga purinjindadhu rendaavudhu vishayam. Kadavulukku nanri. Naalu varsham odi pochu illiya? Ippo indha letter 17 vayasu Gayu illai 21 vayasu Gayu sollardha nenachukongo. Enakku unga mela kovam illai, infact, enakku unga mela kovame varadhu. Varutham mattum thaan because you assumed and never clarified. You assumed that I had a crush and was infatuated. Let me tell you a story. Enakku 3 vayasu irukkum podhu enakku 10 vayasu Adi mama va romba pudikkum nu Amma soleerka. Adhu yen nu theriyuma? Not for you good looks because a child does not see "looks". I saw kindness and love in your eyes, I felt your gentleness when you held my hand. I felt protected when you slowed down your steps so that I could catch up. When I met you 5 days ago in CBE, I connected with you right away, as though I had known for life times. I again saw how kind you were with me, I saw a responsible son and a brother in you. I saw a companion who felt comfortable enough to be vulnerable with me and speak his heart. I saw a man who was willing to apologize to me for having raised a voice at me, even though that was only to protect me. You told me to keep smiling. These are the qualities that I fell in love with. Yes, I am a teenager but I am mature enough to recognize the qualities in a good man. Your good looks were an added advantage, I won't deny. Don't assume that just because a girl is a teenager she cannot recognize her soulmate. Maams, Gayu ku you will always be the most special person in her life. I don't know if we are meant to be but, if we are, then nothing can stop it from happening. Not you, not me, not our age difference. Nothing. Here is the last test for this. Here is my phone number 988765432. I am going to tell my parents that I have lost this phone and will get a new one with a new number that I will use from now on. I am going to hold on to this phone just to receive the birthday call from you. If this phone manages to survive and live with me until then, and if it rings on my birthday, then even you cannot deny that my love for you has been true. We have 4 years maams. I will not reach out to you until then and I will tell my family not to share any information about me to you. Now let's see if you will believe that love exists. There is no need to find logic to experience love.

Until we meet again yours

Gayu.

Adu's eyes were wet. He kissed the letter. He could not believe how completely wrong he was about her. He wiped the tears and looked at the time. It was almost midnight. He had read the letter over and over. He grabbed his phone and dialed the number.

Brinda Subramanian