Cafe at Bessy

It was a quaint, elegant yet classy cafe near Bessy beach which was the hub for youngsters. The decor was modern and inviting, especially for the young crowd. There was enough sitting space to sit and work, if need be or a table for two, if you were on a date. There were also a couple or corner semi- circular sofa which could easily handle a group of ten. The menu was mainly continental. There were limited options but they were all one of a kind and exceptional. Beverages included hot and cold drinks, smoothies and fresh juice as well.

Gayu had opened up this place about a year ago, along with Sindhuja and Rahul, her boyfriend. They were open only during evening hours from 4PM to 10PM on weekday and went on u till midnight during weekends. . They took turns opening and closing up for the day. This wednesday was Gayu's turn to close up. They had been extremely busy, unusually, for a weekday. It was almost 10PM and the cafe was almost empty except the corner couple table from where she still heard giggles. Gayu was busy cleaning up the kitchen area, the oven and emptying the coffee pots. She glanced at the young guy who was sitting with his girlfriend, smiled and pointed at the clock. He quickly got up sheepishly, holding the girls hand and came up to the counter apologizing, "Sorry didi, didn't realize it was time to close. How much?" Gayu smiled and said, "It is ok. Glad you guys had a good time and that will be Rs. 235.60." He slid the credit card and refused the receipt. He thanked her again and stepped out.

Gayu turned around removing her apron and grabbed the swifter to quickly clean the floor. Just then she heard the door open and she yelled, "Sorry we are closed." The voice on the other side made her smile, "Engalukkuma?" followed by a tiny voice screaming, "Ammmmaaaa". She turned around to see her daughter running towards her for a hug. Gayu bent down to hug her daughter who kissed Gayu on both cheeks and opened her tiny palm. Gayu kissed her back and asked, "Inniki Appa kooda good girl aa irundhiya? Appo thaan cup cake tharuven." Ashika nodded and said, "Yes ma, romba romba good girl aa irundhen. Homework kooda all finish. Appa vum Naanum coloring panninom. Aparam paati enakku chappathi thanda naan full aa chaapten." Then she held out her hand again. Gayu quickly went up to the cabinet to grab a freshly baked chocolate chip muffin and handed it in a paper plate saying, "ange ukkandhu chaapudu. Erakaadhe amma ippo thaan clean pannirken."

Meanwhile, Adu closed the front door and locked it from inside. He then turned off the "Open" sign. Then he walked up to his wife and grabbed the swiffer to clean saying, "Nee ukkaru maa, you must be tired." He gave her a quick peck and gently touched her 7 months pregnant belly.  She smiled and was more than happy to rest her feet. Once they finished cleaning up they headed home.

Right after Ashika was born, Sivu and Achchu had moved to Chennai to live with Gayu and Adu and to help them with taking care of Ashika kutty and also with the baby on the way. It was a huge moral, physical and emotional support for them, especially with Gayu building her business. She could comfortably leave Ashika with them who had also developed a bond with them.

Once they finished cleaning up, Gayu turned off the lights and left. Their new home was only about 15 mins away. It was a 4 BR home with a nice veranda. Achchu, like his father, was fond of gardening and was enjoying the backyard. Ashika helped him as well and was very proud of her flowers. The home had an attached car port as well. It was almost 11 when they reached home and Ashi had slept in the car. After parking the car, Adu slowly picked her up and handed her to Achchu who opened the door for then. He whispered, "Amma ippo thaan paduthunda. Naan kozhandaiya enga kitta pottukaren. Neegalum poi paduthukungo." Adu nodded and gave a hand to Gayu.

As usual, as soon as she entered their bedroom, Gayu took off her work clothes and quickly went and had a shower. She wrapped a robe before stepping out. Adu was sitting on the bed with his head rested against the head board. He smiled at her and held out his hand. She walked towards him and sat between his extended legs, resting her head on his chest. He wrapped his arm around her and gently placed his arm on her belly saying, "Enna sollaran en paiyan." Gayu replied, "Romba odhakkaran. Idhukku thaan un kitta football paakkadhe nu sollaren." Adu laughed saying, "Seri Appo naan Ashi kutty ku paatu paadara madiri paadaren, ivanum thoonguvaan." Gayu jerked saying, "Ayayo andha kodumai mattum pannadhe. Unnakku onnu theriyuma? Ava un paate keetu sadhoshathula thoongara nu nenachiya? Ava andha kodumai thaanga mudhiyama thoogara. Dayavu saidhu ivan kittayum adha pannadhe maams" she said, horrified.

She turned around to look at his face. When she realized that he looked hurt by her words, she said, "Maams I love you so much maams. Andha paatu mattum cut pannu matha padi indha world liye best husband, best father need thaan." When she noticed that he was still upset she kissed his on his lips and whispered, " indha world la best lover and kisser um neethan" and continued kissing. He slowly started kissing her back more passionately. His arm slowly moved up from her belly to her breast, slowly squeezing it. She loosed her robe, giving him access to her bare breast. Soon they were lost in each others arms, passionately making love like it was the first time. They continued to excite each other and never let the fire subside.

The night was still young for the love birds.

Brinda Subramanian