Chapter Tweleve: Overwhelming Anger

The vehicle motor growled in protest as I sped down the road. Hot tears streamed down my face. What was wrong with my baby girl? Was she okay? So many thoughts filled my head I was unable of focusing.

"Regina?" Robin called over the Bluetooth in the car. Ever since he had uttered Mary's name, I had been silent except for the cry I had let out. "Dearest?" He tries again. And again, nothing. "Milady please answer me." Robin's voice was strung together with complete fear and sorrow.

"I... I..." I croak, trying to find the words I needed. "What's happened to her?" I whimper, turning on the road that lead to my daughter. And Robin.

Silence.

"I think I should wait until you're here. I don't want to cause even more panic." Robin tries to reason. But I wasn't in the reasoning mood. Actions before thinking. That was my instinct and sometimes it helped. And other times it made things completely worse.

"Damn it Robin! There is no time for secrets! What has happened to my daughter?!" I bark, gritting my teeth.

Robin clears his throat and sighs. "I had to call DFACS, Regina. She's got two bruises." His voice was low as he mumbled the information.

My foot slams on the breaks just in time. The car slid to a stop in front of the school and from where I was positioned, I could see Robin already rushing towards me. My heart pounded as anger boiled in the pit of my stomach. Mary had two bruises created by someone in that house. As far as I knew, Ava didn't have anyone else in that house except her. How dare she? I would rip that woman apart with my bare hands and pummel her until she was just-

"Milady." The door was open and Robin stood, worried. "Let me explain. Listen to me." He says insistently as I slide out of the seat and try to pass him. I was livid. "Regina listen to me!"

"What?!" I screech. "What do you want to say?! Ava touched Mary! She hurt her daughter! My daughter! I'll show her what she's messing with, damn it! How could she?!" I scream. I was pushing against Robin's strong chest, trying to get past him. My hands gripped fistfuls of his shirt as his hands gripped my shoulders to steady me.

"Regina, dear, look at me." He says calmly. "Look at me." Robin's voice was stern but kind. I take a few deep breaths, my dark eyes locking with his. "We don't need to make a scene. Not here in front of the elementary school. Not now." He gently plants a kiss on my forehead, holding me firmly. "I know you're very upset but it's not all that you think. It wasn't Ava. They sent someone out to the house once I called about Mary. She said it was Leo?" He says uncertainly. "That Ava had also been hurt but had neglected it. Something about change?"

My heart stopped beating as I sucked in a breath. Mary hadn't called Leo 'daddy' ever since he had first started the abuse and addiction. And we had settled on him leaving and never coming back. He was a dangerous man. A hazard to all three of us and especially Mary. What was he doing back here?

"Sweetheart?" Robin whispers cautiously. "Sweetheart are you alright?"

I swallow before shaking my head. "Leo." I whisper. My mind was reeling as I tried to listen to everything at once. "He's... He's back?" I croak, my eyes still locked on Robin's. His face showed realization as his grip tightened.

"Leopold?" He asks again, watching as my head bobbed up and down. Robin's jaw clenched as he took in a ragged breath. "Bloody hell." He muttered as robin began to lead me into the school. We walked together down halls and around corners until we reached a large suite with three doors. "Let's sit okay?" Robin suggests but I shake my head.

"I can't." I croak, beginning to pace the room. My hands clasped tightly in front of me as my heels clicked on the linoleum floors. Robin watched my movements, biting on his lower lip.