Chapter 103: Elder Brother

"Grandfather, don't you think house arrest is too cruel?" Feng Yanggu never stopped interceding for his brother.

Old Master snorted. He only did that for Feng Yanyan's good. 

It was Eldest Master who answered his son. "You are no fool. The situation outside is still unstable. Right now, True Bones aren't of one mind. They have completely abandoned Suliang but we're still protecting Junwang. Now is not the time for our family to be reckless outside. Sooner or later, the Prime Minister will learn our identity."

In this room, three generations of the head of the Feng family gathered. According to the family rules, no secret must be kept to the eldest child of the family once they were of age. That was how the status of True Bones passed from its earliest years to today.

But right now, the Feng family was going against their principle of hiding. This caused dissatisfaction from the cadet branches but this time, Feng Haotian didn't care. The Yao family should have faced retribution years ago but the True Bones let them run rampant.

Old Master Feng wasn't able to convince the other four clans to gather and deal with the Yao family once and for all.

That was why only the Feng clan mobilized its connections to protect the King's supporters while pressing the Yao clan on all sides.

Over at the palace, the Empress was also feeling some changes in  Dalong. 

"Grandfather, what exactly is going on? Where did these people find courage to oppose us?" Yao Ducheng was tormented by headaches.

It wasn't even half a year since the death of King Wan Li, the greatest thorn in Her Majesty's rule, but now, she was facing more problems that she couldn't handle all at once.

The Imperial Censors suddenly admonished the Empress for her control over the harem. Previously closed cases were being opened including the death of a small Lady Huo who was found to be pregnant.

If it was only the rear courtyard, it was still manageable. But the whole Yao family seemed to have been afflicted with an unlucky curse.

Someone dug up solid evidence about a Yao official cheating in the Imperial Exam last year. There was the matter about selling overpriced herbs in the cities affected by a plague two years ago.

Five years back, a Yao from the cadet branch took another person's wife in the streets. This person was a repeated offender.

A young gentleman from the Yao family lost 10,000 tales of gold while gambling and didn't pay for it. A certain miss Yao pushed another girl in a pond which led to the girl's death days later.

There were lots of other small things like this. At most, these would have been minor problems when dealt with individually. But now that someone was deliberately bringing them up in the court, it was easy to see how shameful this clan was.

The Empress was livid. Why were the family members doing one stupid thing after another?!

With this kind of behavior, it was easy for the Empress to be described as someone without virtue because of the good deeds of her family.

Yao Anji looked thoughtful. "The ones behind the scenes... this time I don't think it's so simple."

They had been the ones controlling the imperial court for years but these issues only showed up now. Someone was deliberately targeting them but who?

Prime Minister Yao had a guess in his heart but didn't dare so.

After all, he had successfully toppled two Emperors, a Crown Prince and a King. The True Bones didn't move. Why only now?