Chapter 68

Hours passed, then Doctor Tramble came out. She removed her face mask and took a deep breath.

"How are they, doctor?" Bob asked.

"We got them stable, but..."

"What?!" Angela exclaimed.

"Stephanie has a ruptured kidney and Alison lost a tremendous amount of blood."

"I'll donate right now." Kim spoke up.

"You're not a match, I'm sorry."

"Is there anyone who is?!"

"Your husband."

She looked over at him with pleading eyes. He stood there, thinking. His eyes wandered around the room.

"She doesn't have much time left."

"I can live with one kidney, but you can't live without your sister."

Angela was in tears, begging him not to go through with it. "You're going to die!"

"I don't need both my kidney's. I'm not going to let my wife's little sister die. I'm the only match and I'm willing to give one up for her."

"What about Ally?"

The doctor looked back at them. "She's lost a lot of blood, it's only a matter of time until she goes into cardiac arrest. There's nothing more we can do."

"Can't someone donate blood to save her?!"

"We opened up her chest and it was almost completely dried. There wasn't any blood in there."

"You've got to do something! I can't lose my daughter! I'll give up all my blood for her!"

"We can't do that, Angela. I'm very sorry."

"Can someone donate?! There has to be a chance!"

"There is only one person who matches her blood type. I couldn't ask them do that."

"Who's her match?"

"Antonio."

They looked over at him.

"What about me?"

"You match Alison's blood type. She needs two pints of blood in order for us to save her. Are you willing to donate?"

He looked over at Adam, at Laura, his kids and then back at the doctor. "Is that safe?"

"If you're willing to, we need to do it right now."

He stood up. "I'll do it."

More hours passed, this time it was Will who came out to the waiting room.

"Well?" Christopher asked.

"The surgeries for both went as well as to be expected. They have long roads ahead of them, but they'll be okay."

"Can we see them?" Maureen asked.

"Yes you can, but at this time immediate family only."

They were all still in the recovery room, but their beds were right next to each other.

"We're here, baby girl. We're here." Christopher said, stroking Stephanie's hand. Her eyes opened slightly, but she was unable to speak because of the breathing. Her eyes glanced over to Kim.

"You had a ruptured kidney."

Her expression turned to worry.

"You're going to live. Adam gave up one of his kidneys for you."