CHAPTER 19

-JESPER P.O.V-

Jesper wanted to pace, but he’d staked out this spot on the bench, and he
intended to keep it.

It felt like little quakes of anxiety and excitement were vibrating under his skin, and Wylan seated next to him drumming frenetically on his kneecaps wasn’t helping him settle.

He didn’t think he could handle much more waiting.

First the boat, then all that hiking, and
now he was stuck in a cell until the guards came by to make their evening
head count.

Only his father had understood his restless energy.

He’d tried to get Jesper to use it up on the farm, but the work had been too monotonous.

University was supposed to be the thing that gave him direction, but instead he’d wandered down a different path.

He cringed at what his father
would say if he learned his son had died in a Fjerdan prison.

Then again, how would he ever know?

That was too depressing to dwell on.

How much time had passed?

What if they couldn’t even hear the
Elderclock in here?

The guards were supposed to make the head count at six bells.

Then Jesper and the others would have until midnight to get the job done.

They hoped.

Matthias had only spent three months at the prison.

Protocols could have changed. He might have got something wrong.

Or maybe the Fjerdan just wants us behind bars before he rats us out.

But Matthias was sitting silently on the far side of the cell near Kaz.

Jesper hadn’t been able to miss Kaz’s little skirmish with the Kaelish. Kaz
was usually unshakeable during a job, but now he was on edge, and Jesper
didn’t know why.

Part of him wanted to ask, though he knew that was the stupid part, the hopeful farmboy who picked the worst possible person to care about, who searched for signs in things that he knew deep down meant nothing – when Kaz chose him for a job, when Kaz played along with one of his jokes.

He could have kicked himself.

He’d finally seen the infamous Kaz Brekker without a stitch of clothing, and he’d been too worried about ending up on a pike to pay proper attention.

Y/N would love to be me at that moment.

Saints, she's not that kind of person you moron.

Jesper was grateful for the fact that Kaz Brekker couldn't read minds.

If he heard and or saw what Jesper was thinking then, he'd shatter his skull and rip out his brain.

But if Jesper was anxious, Wylan looked as if he might actually throw
up.

“What are we supposed to do now?”