CHAPTER 1

-💣WYLAN P.O.V💣-

What am I doing here?

Wylan wondered again.

He found himself gnawing on his thumb and forced himself to stop.

He was here for Y/N. He was here for Inej.

They'd saved his life more than once, and he wasn't going to forget that.

He was here because he desperately needed the money.

And if there was another reason, a tall, lanky reason with a too-strong taste for games of chance, he wasn't going to think about that right now.

As soon as they made it to the outskirts of the Barrel, Wylan and Kaz ditched their capes and sky-blue jackets and wended their way east into the Zelver district.

Matthias was waiting for them beneath a darkened doorway on
Handelcanal, right outside Club Cumulus.

"All clear?"Kaz asked.

"All clear," said the big Fjerdan. "The lights went out on the top floor of
Smeet's house more than an hour ago, but I don't know if the servants are
awake."

"He only has a daily maid and cook," Kaz said. "He's too cheap for fulltime servants."

"How is-"

"Nina is fine. Bhagya is fine. Jesper is fine. Everyone is fine except for me because I'm stuck with a gang of hand-wringing nursemaids. Keep a watch."

"I'm not fine, Kaz." said a voice from the shadows.

Wylan snapped in it's direction to see Bhagya Ghafa emerging from the dark, face hidden in a black hood, her eyes glinting with a sharp dagger like glare in the pale moonlight.

"You promised us, Kaz. You promised to keep me and my sister safe. You promised to keep all of us safe! And now, my sister and my best friend are facing the prospect of torture, thanks to you. You had one job Kaz! One job."

She'd lost alot of body weight due to her battle with the parem, just like Nina.

Her Suli black irised had lost their sliver of mischief, the life in them had simply been sucked out, a tide of tears collecting in them from time to time, creeping down the crevices of her eyes, staining her previously chubby cheeks.

The witty, cheery and flirty girl Wylan had known had been lost, driven into depths of denial, anger, grief.

And the thirst for revenge.

Kaz stared at her for the longest time, a look of regret, guilt, flashing on his face, before looking away and gesturing her to follow him and Wylan.

Wylan turned and shrugged apologetically at Matthias, who looked like he was considering dashing Kaz's skull against a wall, then hurried along the cobblestones after Bhagya and Kaz.

Smeet's home also served as his office, and it was located on a dark street with sparse foot traffic.

The lamps were lit along the canal and candles burned in some of the windows, but after ten bells, most
of the neighborhood's respectable citizens had already retired.