CHAPTER 14

-💣WYLAN P.O.V💣-

We’re in a hotel , Wylan realized as he stepped into the building after the crew. That was the servants’ entrance and the staff elevator.

They knocked on a pair of wide white double doors. Colm Fahey answered, wearing a long nightshirt with a coat thrown over it. They were at the Geldrenner.

“The others are inside,” he said wearily.

Colm asked them no questions, just pointed toward the bathroom and
poured himself a cup of tea as they tracked mud and misery across the
purple carpets. Y/N was awake now, courtesy of Nina's first aid skills and Y/N's Grisha powers and resilience.

When Matthias saw Nina, he leapt from his seat on the huge aubergine sofa and clasped her in his arms.

“We couldn’t get through the blockades to Sweet Reef,” he said. “I feared the worst.”

Then they were all hugging, and Wylan was horrified to find his eyes
filling with tears. He blinked them back. The last thing he needed was for Jesper to see him cry again.

The sharpshooter was covered in soot and smelled like a forest fire, but he had that wonderful glimmer-eyed look he always seemed to get when he’d been in a fight.

All Wylan wanted to do was stand as close as he possibly could to him and know that he was safe.

Until this moment, Wylan hadn’t quite understood how much they meant to him.

His father would have sneered at these thieves, a pair disgraced soldiers, two worthless Sulis, a gambler who couldn’t keep out of the red.

But they were his first friends, his only friends, and Wylan knew that even if he’d had his pick of a thousand companions, these would have been the people he chose.

Only Kaz stood apart, staring silently out the window to the dark streets
below.

“Kaz,” said Nina. “You may not be glad we’re alive, but we’re glad you’re alive. Come here!”

“Leave him be,” murmured Y/N softly.

“Saints, Reaper,” said Jesper. “You’re bleeding.”

“So is Inej.” Y/N said calmly. Inej simply shrugged it off with a wry smile.

“Should I call a doctor?” asked Jesper’s father.

“No!” they all replied in unison.

“Of course not,” said Colm. “Should I ring for coffee?”

“Yes, please,” said Nina.

Colm ordered coffee, waffles, and a bottle of brandy, and while they
waited, Nina enlisted their help to locate some shears so that she could cut up the hotel towels for bandages.

Once a pair had been found, she took the girls into the bathroom to see to her wounds.

When a knock sounded at the door, they all tensed, but it was only their
meal. Colm greeted the maid and insisted that he could manage the cart so that she wouldn’t see the strange company that had assembled in his rooms.