Chapter 4

PLEASE LEAVE A VOTE!

🩵🩵🩵🩵

𝕸𝖗𝖘. 𝖂𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖑𝖊𝖞 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖎𝖓 a good mood when we went downstairs. She was cooking on the stove and informed us that we would be eating outside due to such a large amount of people in the house. Ron and Harry grabbed cutlery and Trang stayed by Mrs. Weasley's side, handing her pans when she needed them. I grabbed cups so that we could fill them with drink and headed out after the others.

Crookshanks was pelting after a gnome which was laughing. It dove into a boot and laughed wildly as Crookshanks put a paw in there, trying to get it out. I smiled.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the house, Charlie and Bill were making two tables smash into each other in a sort of battle. Fred and George were cheering, Ginny was laughing, and Hermione seemed to be split in her emotions between amusement and anxiety.

Bill's table caught Charlie's with a huge bang and knocked one of its legs off. There was a clatter from overhead and everyone looked up to see Percy looking down from the second floor.

"WILL YOU KEEP IT DOWN?!" He bellowed.

"Sorry Perce." Bill said, his long locks sweeping behind him as he lifted his head again. "How're the cauldron bottoms coming on?"

"Very badly." Percy said peevishly, slamming the window shut, making the windows rattle. Everyone laughed again as Bill and Charlie lowered the tables back to Earth. Bill reattached the table leg and then made tablecloths appear from nowhere.

Trang and I set the table in record time and soon Mrs. Weasley had all of the dishes of her cooking on the tables. I put some of the food onto my plate, sitting between Bill and Trang. Hermione, Harry, and Ron were sitting across from me. Both Fred and Charlie kept shooting glances down at Bill as he chatted with me.

I picked at my food, listening, rather than talking, while eating. I was mostly listening to Mr. Weasley and Percy's conversation.

"I've told Mr. Crouch that I'll have it ready by Tuesday." Percy said- meaning his cauldron report. "that's a bit sooner than he expected it, but I like to keep on top of things. I think he'll be grateful I've done it in good time, I mean, it's extremely busy in our department just now, what with all the arrangements for the World Cup. We're just not getting the support we need from the Department of Magical Games and Sports. Ludo Bagman-"

"I like Ludo." Mr. Weasley interrupted mildly. "He was the one who got us such good tickets for the Cup. I did him a bit of a favor: His brother, Otto, got into a spot of trouble- a lawnmower with unnatural powers- I smoothed the whole thing over."

"Oh Bagman's likable enough of course." Percy said in a dismissive manner. "but how he ever got to be head of Department. . . when I compare him to Mr. Crouch! I can't see Mr. Crouch losing a member of our department and not trying to find out what's happened to them. You realize Bertha Jorkins has been missing for over a month now? Went on holiday to Albania and never came back?"

My mouth went dry. I stopped eating.

"Yes, I was asking Ludo about that." Mr. Weasley said with a frown. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat but continued to listen in, "He says Bertha's gotten lost plenty of times before now- though I must say, if it was someone in my department, I'd be worried. . ."

"Oh Bertha's hopeless, all right. I hear she's been shunted from department to department for years, much more trouble than she's worth. . . but all the same, Bagman ought to be trying to find her. Mr. Crouch has been taking a personal interest, she worked in our department at one time, you know, and I think Mr. Crouch was quite fond of her- but Bagman just keeps laughing and saying she probably misread the map and ended up in Australia instead of Albania. However-" Percy stopped talking to take a sip of wine, "- we've got quite enough on our plates at the Department of International Magical Cooperation without trying to find members of other departments too. As you know, we've got another big event to organize right after the World Cup. You know the one I'm talking about, Father. The top-secret one." Percy said in a slightly raised voice.