Chapter 30: Sharp Claws

After engaging in an intense discussion for approximately 30 minutes about formations and designations, the team swiftly exited the circular toroidal room. Their footsteps silent through the woods as they sprinted forward, led by Cesar who set a blistering pace. 

The transformation they had undergone in just two weeks was astonishing—they had surpassed the limitations of mere humans, their physical abilities enhanced by the awakened Will flowing from their A.R.C. 

Cesar's movements were a blur, unsurprisingly followed closely by Al, who seemed unaffected by the speed. Al calmly seized the opportunity to share his strategic insights with Cesar. "Based on the information we have, it's likely that anything in the higher trigram of the Mental Domain possess their own set of unique spells," he explained, his voice steady and composed. 

"Given this, I believe it would be best if Yusuf and I take the lead. My regenerative abilities and his steel defense will allow us to endure projectiles more effectively than the rest of the team. You and Jin should position yourselves right behind us, ready to swiftly assist with your mid-range attacks. Louise, on the other hand, should focus on seizing opportunities to deliver decisive blows. As for Ellie, she can manipulate the battlefield, confusing our enemies."

Al's words carried a thoughtful analysis, a well-considered strategy that aimed to maximize the team's individual strengths. Although Cesar had his own initial plan, he couldn't deny the logic behind Al's proposal. However, he had one condition: he insisted that Louise take Al's place at the forefront, fighting alongside Yusuf. Al's instincts bristled against this arrangement, recognizing the vast difference in power between his Stubborn Will and Louis's Tense Will. 

Nevertheless, Al chose to withhold his objections, unwilling to undermine Cesar's authority in front of the others. He reluctantly nodded in agreement.

As they sprinted through the dense forest, Cesar gradually came to a halt, his sharp gaze scanning the surroundings. His eyes settled on a tree with a distinct marking, and he walked over to it, his movement deliberate and purposeful. 

"We should be close by. I left that marking before we departed," he announced, his voice tinged with assurance. Turning to his teammates, he continued, "Yusuf, Louise, come to the front. Jin you'll be next to me. Al, keep watch over our rear."

Before Cesar could mention Ellie, she vanished into thin air. Her voice, with its high-pitched tone, rang out nonchalantly, "Yeah, I know. I'll stay hidden and manipulate the battlefield." 

Cesar glanced around, momentarily perplexed, before refocusing his attention on the team. "We're going to be entering the hole in this formation, maintaining utmost silence," he instructed, his words carrying a weight of caution. Each member of the team silently nodded in agreement, their movements careful and calculated. Slowly, they advanced together, Yusuf and Louise leading the way.

Soon, they reached their destination—a small hole, approximately three meters in diameter. As Yusuf and Louise approached it, they peered down, observing the sunlight filtering through, indicating a manageable drop. 

They silently turned for Cesar's approval, and after receiving his nod, Yusuf closed his eyes, gripping a peculiar brown belt over his gray robe. In contrast, Louise lightly tapped the drum she carried, producing a subtle sound, before swiftly leaping into the hole. Yusuf followed suit, both landing with grace and ease. The hole served as the entrance to a massive tunnel, branching off in two directions.

Now, it was Jin and Cesar's turn. Jin, clutching his ancestral stone medallion, and Cesar, wielding his magnificently adorned spear, positioned themselves by the tunnel. Without hesitation, they synchronized their actions, leaping into the air. However, just as they were mid-flight, a shadow lunged towards Al.