Decisions

Evie

The turn of events that had led me to this moment had been nothing short of a whirlwind, one that I am still reeling in from.

After my meeting with Wyrn and Wilder I drove to the lawyer's office where a bombshell had been dropped onto me, yet again.

"Evie, thank you for coming by." Eddison McCall said gesturing for me to sit down in the chair facing his desk.

"You said that there was something else we needed to discuss." I said jumping past the formalities.

"Yes, so, your father left you with a large sum of money and there are some stipulations attached to them." McCall said clearing his throat. He adjusted the bright red tie that sat snug around his neck before proceeding. "These stipulations might seem a bit confusing." He said looking at me with an unsettling expression.

"Go on," I nodded wanting him to just spit it out already.

"Well, in order to have the money released you must either get married or go back to school and graduate with a four-year degree." He said stumbling slightly over the words.

"What?" I asked shaking my head. "How much money are we talking?" I asked.

"1 million Dollars and a transfer of his stockholdings in the Whiskey Brothers business which is about another million give or take at the moment." He said looking down at the file in front of him.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I asked when my jaw hit the floor.

"No, I'm afraid not." McCall said awkwardly.

I know that I am making the old man uncomfortable, but I am still trying to process his words.

"Well, how would I even afford to go back to school?" I asked with a slight shake of my head. Lord knows I can't afford school on my own.

"It will come from the million he is giving to you. Up front, of course." McCall said.

"So, it's either I get married, or I go back to school?" I asked shaking my head.

What the actual fuck?

"Yes," McCall nodded.

Again, what the fuck?

"Well, I guess I'll be returning to school." I said standing to my feet.

After a few calls to Washington State, I was re-enrolled and preparing to start up classing under rolling admissions in 1 week.

The look on Willie's face was disarming, hell, the look on everyone face was disarming. I tried to tell myself that this wasn't about him...this was about me and ensuring that I wasn't making reckless decisions.

"I had wanted to go back after momma died but I put it off. Now that I have no real ties to Whiskey Hills aside from the Scotch business, it seems like a good time to head back." I explained feeling a bit put on the spot.

The last thing that I wanted to tell them was that I didn't really have a choice in the matter, but I didn't. There was a large part of me that knew the sooner I got out of this town the sooner this thing with Willie would be over.

And, if I am honest, I have no fucking idea what I want but I need to find out which is another reason as to why I am doing this.

Willie would realize that he was wrong about me, and his feelings, and he would move on. And I would get my degree in the meantime. It seemed like a win-win even though my heart is constricting within my chest.

Yesterday had changed things between us and I wasn't sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing yet, but I there is little to nothing that I can do about any of it. If Willie and I got together he would leave me in the end, and I'd be alone again, and I can't bare it let alone consider it. Not to mention that Willie deserves so much better and so much more than I could ever give him.

Everyone remained silent as they started at me.

"Well, what are you going to study?" Wanda asked breaking the awkward silence.

"Editing. It was what I was studying before momma passed." I said with a shrug.

"Well, that suites you." Wanda said with a nod.

I could sense that she is trying to make light of the situation, but it didn't help. I could sense the anger and disappointment from everyone in the room, and I hated that but what could I do about it?

"The good thing about the Scotch part of the business is that you don't have to be here to make decisions. We will set you up with an email and we can communicate that way moving forward." Walter said with a nod.

"Okay," I nodded.

"When do you leave?" Wyatt asked sending me a glare that I didn't really understand.

"As soon as I can," I said with a shrug. "I've put my deposit down on student off campus housing this morning. I'll probably leave tomorrow. I want to set everything up before classes start up." I explained.

"Good luck," he said before walking out of the kitchen.

"Thanks," I mumbled awkwardly.

"I, um, I have to go. I have to pack up my apartment today." I said pulling my phone out of my back pocket.

"What about the house?" Weston asked.

"Oh, everything is packed up. I have someone coming by to pick up the donations and the things I want to keep are set up at the storage facility on the edge of town." I replied.

"And your car?" Wade asked.

"Well, I had the scrap it and am having some upgrades done on the truck today before I leave." I said with a shrug.

"Well, seems you have thought of everything." Wyrn said.

"Yeah, I did." I nodded.

"I guess this is goodbye then?" Wilder asked taking a few steps towards me. He gave me a side hug. "Good luck, Evie." He whispered before pulling away and walking out of the room.

Willie only nodded at me before following after Wilder out of the room. I felt like my heart was going to stop beating as I watched him walk away. The pain is almost unbearable. I took a shaky breath before nodding and pushing my shoulder back telling myself that I can cry about it later.

"I don't know you that well, but...well, you deserve to be happy. And if going back to school is going to make you happy then so be it." Wyrn said before placing a swift kiss on my cheek and leaving the room.

Weston gave me a quick hug before leaving after his brothers leaving me with Wanda, Walter, and Wade.

"Now, if you need anything you let me know. I mean it." Walter said walking across the kitchen and pulling me into a tight hug. He placed a kiss on my forehead before leaving me.

"Don't worry about Willie, we will look out for him." Wade said in a whisper. "I think you are wrong though...sometimes love is more than enough. Sometimes it's the fear of the thing itself that makes us think otherwise." Wade said before giving my hand a quick squeeze before leaving.

"I'll walk you out," Wanda said grabbing my hand and leading me out the front door.

She walked me to my car before turning to look at me.

"You are stronger than you know, and your momma and papa would be proud of you. We all just want you to be happy. If you ever change your mind, you will always have a place here. Doesn't matter what happened or what didn't happen with you and Willie. You will forever be a part of the family." Wanda said pulling me into another tight motherly hug before pulling away and walking into the house.

I was making the right choice, right?

This is going to make me happy, right?

I climbed into the truck and drove off the estate as hot thick tears began running down my face. I am making a mistake, I know I am, but the decisions been made.