Chapter 4 - Guess Who?

5 months later...

The sun was beaming down on Promise who stood with her hands on her hips, surveying her handiwork in the backyard. The black party tables, which stood in the far corner of the yard, were adorned with coco melon themed tablecloths and held an impressive array of finger foods—Promise's specialty. Colorful lanterns swayed gently in the breeze, casting warm, inviting light onto the grass below. The oak tree had been transformed into a dance floor, with a disco ball hanging from its lowest branch and a large Bluetooth speaker hidden in the foliage.

She wiped a bead of sweat from her brow, her fingers smudging the icing across her forehead. The party would begin at any moment. Promise was celebrating the twins' first birthday the simple way, she wasn't fond of spending an insane amount of money.

Opal and Onyx Jr were dressed nicely in their Dodger gear. Promise had them repping LA to the fullest.

Neighbors, family, and friends had all been invited, and she straightened her apron and patted the baby's-breath pins in her hair as she saw the first few guests walking into the backyard.

As the crowd grew, Promise couldn't help but notice that everyone seemed to have brought a plus one. Her stomach churned with envy when she saw Onyx walk in with a beautiful girl, but she swallowed it down, plastering a smile on her face and making light conversation as she refreshed the platters of hors d'oeuvres.

It wasn't until all of the guest appeared that Promise began to calm down. She was anxious to see a smile on her babies face and scared to introduce her new boyfriend to family. She could only hope it didn't cause unwanted drama seeing as though Onyx cane with a plus one as well.

The moment had come, and the warmth of anticipation brought Promise's heart to her throat. Her new boyfriend Rome walked in bearing gifts for the twins who were busy occupying themselves in the ball pit with Parker.

Rome was handsome at 6'4 with light brown skin, a slender fit body, and tattoos everywhere. Identical to the singer August Alsina. He was Promise's escape whenever she thought about the trauma and pain she went through.

Meanwhile Onyx was grilling Rome from afar. Though he'd moved on with his new girlfriend Lovelyn he still felt away about Promise moving on. In his eyes she was still his and nothing could change that. Not even finalized divorce papers.

As the night wore on, Promise danced, joked, socialized with almost everyone, and drank whenever she wasn't occupied with making memories with the twins, under the blushing light of the lanterns, surrounded by laughter and the people that made her heart swell. Somehow, for just a moment, the weight of her heavy heart lifted, and she allowed herself to feel truly happy.

The twins birthday party had turned out great and was one for the books. Pictures were snapped and everyone seemed to get along for the sake of the children.

As the last song started to play, Promise slipped inside to gather some spare blankets for guests who had decided to stay the night dur to them flying out to LA. She was rummaging through the hallway closet when a soft knock echoed through the house, followed by a hushed, lilting voice.

"Is this the party for the twins?"

For a moment, Promise couldn't move, her fingers hovering over a threadbare sheet. Her breath caught in her throat. No, it couldn't be. She'd heard that voice only in dreams, in memories that she'd long locked away.

Promise's heart hammered against her ribs as she walked cautiously toward the front door, praying that she wasn't dreaming. That she hadn't finally gone mad with grief.

Her trembling fingers turned the doorknob, the evening light casting the visitor into silhouette. "Xara?" she whispered, her voice barely audible, the name carrying with her all the hope, hurt, and fear of the past year.

As the door swung open, the figure stepped into the light, her hair tumbling around her face like a golden curtain. Xara, who had been presumed dead, raised her eyes to Promise, her lips spreading into a soft smile.

"Hello, Promise."

Instinctively, Promise wrapped her arms around Xara in a return embrace, tears spilling from her eyes.

She reveled in the sense of familiarity that she felt beneath her fingertips, so much so that in that moment, even a year's absence.

It felt as if Xara had never left.

The best friends held one another close, not saying a word, until finally a tear-wracked Promise stepped back, gazing into the other's.

"I thought you were dead."

"I know and I have so much explaining to do. But I'll get to that later I wanna see my godchildren." Xara said with a huge smile on her face.

"Okay that's fine but just to prep you, Quick has moved on."

Xara only laughed. "I know."

"Yea we really have to talk." Promise stated as she led Xara into the backyard where the twins were.

Xara ran to the twins, hugging and kissing them, overjoyed to finally have them in her arms after so long.

Promise watched as Xara hugged the twins, tears of joy streaming down her face.

She was happy that Xara was back, but still confused about how Xara was back.

Promise put her fears and worries aside for the moment and joined the reunion, hugging Xara and the twins.

All eyes were on them as they did so. Especially Quick and Divine. Who had arrived right behind Xara.

As soon they broke up the hug Xara stood and looked around before speaking to everyone in attendance. They all stood there looking as if they were seeing a ghost.