𝟎𝟕

- Burial Of The Dead

Earl Haraldson was sitting on his throne when a man was heard giggling as he was dragged into the room by two of the Earls guards causing Svein to roll his eyes in annoyance shooting a weird look to the man who continued giggling and questioned, "...

Earl Haraldson was sitting on his throne when a man was heard giggling as he was dragged into the room by two of the Earls guards causing Svein to roll his eyes in annoyance shooting a weird look to the man who continued giggling and questioned, " what is it?" Two guards dragged the man to stand in front of the Earl as one of them spoke up and informed, " My Lord, this man says he has a message for you from Ragnar Lothbrok"

"Let him go" Earl Haraldson demanded with a curious look on his face as he wanted to know what the message was making his men immediately let go off the man and questioned, " what is the message?" Floki flitches slight as he looked around the room before he informed, " Ragnar Lothbrok challenges you to meet him in single combat"

Everyone stayed quiet as they turned to face the Earl who had a nonchalantly expression on his face knowing that Ragnar was doing this to get his revenge for his stolen treasure and the fact he had burned his family home to the ground, " Ragnar Lothbrok has a very high opinion of himself" Svein sarcastically commented with an unamused look on his face narrowing his eyes at the crazy man in front of him.

"Well, he is a descendant of Odin" The Earl stated raising his brows as everyone began to laugh loudly in amusement as Floki stopped giggling glaring over at the man and told him, " Ragnar said that if you refuse his challenge, then shame would follow you for the rest of your life" Earl Haraldson stayed silent for a moment before he let out an amused chuckle and replied, " there would be greater shame in accepting a challenge from a criminal. That would suggest that I take him, seriously, that I see him as an equal"

"The challenge is declined" Svein loudly announced his voice bouncing through the room, " when Ragnar Lothbrok appears in Kattegat, he will be put in chains." The Earl stayed silent with a thoughtful expression on his face as he recalled the Seer's words before standing up and walking towards Floki with a determined expression on his face and told him, "Tell Ragnar Lothbrok I accept his challenge. Take him away" Floki bowed his head as a smile appeared his lips allowing the guards to drag him out of the great room.

❀❀❀❀

A couple of days later, Ragnar arrived at Kattegat with his family walking down the docks pushing his way through the crowd before he stopped looking down at Freya who had an concerned look on her face, " don't look so worried" he assured her bringing her into a side hug before he limped forward making his way over to Earl Haraldson. Ragnar turned his head looking over at his injured brother sending him a nod before looking over at his family sending them an assured look.

"This is a personal combat. The combatants can choose any weapon and shield they desire. Each man has two shields if both are broken, there can be no further replacement" Svein spoke up loudly before the Earl Haraldson and Ragnar was both given a shield and a weapon before the fight began and Ragnar was the first one who attacked first only for him to block the attacks with his shield.