#1 . Inconvenience

( 1st person POV)

I quickly sat behind the desk and messily put my things on the table as I tried to calm the fast beating of my heart, which gave the impression of a drunk drum inside my chest. A glass of water surely would help, so I got up once more and made my way to the employee room, where a small old fridge filled with different drinks stood. I lazily grabbed one of the bottles of water and took a big sip, thirst finally dying down. 

Another stupid rainy day, a stupid tiring morning and a stupid fucking nightmare. Just great. Now, don't get me wrong, I love rainy days, but not when the bus breaks down and I have to walk the 30 minute path to my work on foot, in the middle of a thunderstorm.

As my brain kept complaining endlessly, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I took it out and checked the caller ID, letting out an exaggerated sigh, before answering.

" Morning Noah. Need something?" You could clearly hear the annoyance and fatigue in my voice, so I obviously wouldn't have expected him to say:

"In my office, now." I stopped on my tracks, having to physically stop myself from face-palming and kicking down the chair next to me, and changed my route towards my bosses office.

I still hadn't hanged up when I got there, nor when I opened the door and made eye contact with him, or when I mumbled a:

"Can I help you?" He was the first to hang up the call and set his phone on the table in front of him. It was clear he was very fucking irritated, as he should be, but it's not like I ever gave a fuck. He opened his mouth to speak, but soon paused, eyeing me up and down, then continuing.

"Where the hell have you been." It sounded more like a statement than a question, but I was expecting him to ask that. I wanted to tell him the truth, but I didn't want another person to think I'm crazy or something. So I told my usual lie.

"I'm sorry, but I had a family issue, that's why I didn't come." That's all. Is it believable? No. Was I aware of that? Obviously yes. Did I think it would be good enough to get away from him? It's arguable.

"Don't lie to me, Evelyn. This is the fourth time that you have just disappeared for weeks and no one can get in touch with you. Then, you just come back like nothing has happened and make up a stupid excuse. Now, I don't know what the hell is going on with your life, but this is a hospital, Evelyn. You can't just skip your job like that without even at least letting us know, these people need you to be there to help them. Yes, you are just a receptionist, not a doctor, but you are the first person they meet when they come through those doors. Do you not understand?" I didn't know what to say to that. He was right, but I had no control over it. I didn't know myself.

"Do you understand me, Eve?" He repeated once more. Oh right, I'm supposed to answer-

"Y-Yes sir." I stuttered out, fuck, I sounded like a nervous wreck. He sighed, then asked the only thing I don't want him to ask.

"What's going on, Evelyn? You can tell me." His voice got softer and quieter, but that didn't help me relax. In fact, it just made it worse.

"Hell if I know.." I mumbled out, almost in a whisper. He sighed again and stood up, slowly walking towards me. Each step made me more anxious. Was he going to force the truth out of me? Hopefully not. He stopped a few inches away from me and gently put his hand on my shoulder.