Chapter 5- Finally Free

To put it simply, Eve's plan went to shit. As soon as she started talking her mind was flooded with the fact that she was one day closer to her best friend dying. Her mouth ran at a million miles per hour, rambling on about why she should be able to spend every waking moment with Charlie instead of going to school. Tears and snot cascaded down her face as she bawled her eyes out. Heather, whom Eve was trying to convince, had never seen her sister cry so much. Even when they had their big argument Eve had never cried this hard. It broke the older girl to see how desperately she wanted to skip school just to spend time with Charlie.

Heather soon cut off her younger sister by wrapping her arms around the smaller girl. Eve immediately stopped talking and just let herself melt into the embrace of her older sister. Heather started to tear up at the broken sobs coming from the shaking and hyperventilating girl. The idea that Eve would lose one of the people she is closest with ripped her heart to shreds and made tears fall impossibly faster. Charlie replaced every single figure Eve didn't have in her life, father, brother, friend, whatever Eve needed at the moment Charlie could provide. Charlie was always able to provide for all of the girl's matters and to Eve it seemed that living without him would be impossible.

As soon as Eve stopped crying Heather wordlessly escorted her younger sister to Charlie's apartment. Her actions seemed insignificant to everyone else but to the sisters it meant everything. Without talking Heather had told her younger sister that she didn't have to worry about Liz and that she would talk to her. Eve was thankful that Heather would talk to Liz for her but she was even more thankful that their bond allowed them to agree to that without even saying a word. Eve felt too tired and too weak to even say a word so she just silently walked up to Charlie's door.

Eve knew that Charlie had a lecture at this time so she used the spare key Charlie gave her to open the door. As soon as she cracked the door open she could hear Charlie in the middle of his lecture. "Listen, at this point in the course, I have given you all that I can in terms of structure, building a thesis, paragraph organization." Eve walked into the apartment and waved goodbye to her sister as she closed the door. "But if all of that isn't built on your own original ideas and truthful analysis it doesn't mean anything." Charlie continues, waving hello to Eve as she enters the room. The girl immediately walks over to her couch and lounges on it. She grabs her newest book and starts to read about Evelyn Hugo's newest husband, Robert Jaminson. Eve had only now just processed how far she was into the book when she remembered Robert was her final husband. Charlie's lecture slowly fades as Eve pays all of her attention to her book. She was almost done with it and she silently vowed to finish it before the day ended.

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

Time had passed, Charlie's lecture had ended and he was using his walker to scour his one of many bookshelves. He was searching the one behind Eve's couch, it mostly held old papers and notebooks that Charlie liked to journal in when he was younger. Charlie kept on pulling out random books and skimming over them until he got to a framed photo of him and Alan. It had been years since Charlie had seen that photo. The last time he had he had started uncontrollably sobbing and eating.

But, looking at the photo didn't make Charlie feel upset, it made him feel... nostalgic, in a way. Charlie didn't want to throw the photo across the room and smash the frame into pieces. He was no longer grieving Alan, but it was far too late.

He looked at the photo for a little longer before he was snapped out of his trance by Eve. She had basically flown out of her chair and out of the room, slamming the door shut as she left. The older man watched Eve's shadow rush across the kitchen window. He wondered what caused the girl to rush out that quickly. He couldn't get a good look at Eve's face before she was out the door but he could tell she was distressed.