betrayal pt 3

previously on betrayal...
"i will never trust you again."
"...wckd is good"

days turned into weeks. weeks turned into months. soon enough, it had already been 6 months since any of them had set foot outside of the wckd compound. the gladers' friendship with thomas was falling apart, the thin thread that struggled to bind them all together.

no one was allowed out of their cells. their meals were delivered to their rooms individually, so apart from thomas, none of them had spoken to anyone in those 6 months they were held captive. each day that passes, the energy levels of each glader fades more than the previous. all of them roam around the compound with dull faces and deep eye bags under their eyes, lacking the usual shine they held. it was simply unbearable for them, having to go through the same process every day and being treated like worthless beings, but they have grown numb to the feeling, such that they look like starved zombies looking for salvation of any sort.

wake up
eat porridge for breakfast
escorted by 2 guards to a medical lab
have their blood drawn
be strung up with tubes and wires
go through simulation after simulation
be physically abused (if they "get out of line")
eat porridge for lunch
go through more tests
be mentally abused
put through trials
eat porridge for dinner
sleep
repeat
the cycle was never ending.

recently, janson had put thomas on another job, so that he was even more distant with the group. he was focussed on getting the cure, not questioning janson's decision. but what thomas didn't know, was that janson was secretly experimenting with the group as well. each day the trials would get harder. the images and simulations would feel more real. the will to live even smaller.

the compound had some cranks that were held captive, to experiment on as well. janson had taken some blood of the cranks and mixed it into the "serums" that the doctors would inject into the gladers. with each dose of crank blood, the group was slowly turning into cranks themselves. or at least, some were. truth be told, not all of them were immunes, but no one knew that except janson, and he used that knowledge to his advantage.

changes can be seen in some of them. even those that were immune struggled with battling the virus. immunes like teresa, frypan and minho survived each dose, but their systems were getting weaker because of the high levels of the flare in their bloodstream. if you think that they go through hell with the fight against the virus, you're far from correct. that's still nothing compared to the pain of the non-immunes, newt and brenda. brenda was lasting way longer than newt since she was slightly more immune than he was. every day newt was getting weaker and weaker, soon he would be unable to fend off the virus.

(slight TW) he could feel it, the virus, like worms crawling inside of him, every inch of his skin and every end of his bones. he knew something was terribly wrong. newt looked up weakly at janson, who had this disgusting smirk on his face and said, "could you bring thomas in? i want to talk to him." janson hesitated, not wanting the 2 to interact since that may complicate things. but knowing that newt would likely die soon, he agreed. thomas was called into newt's cell, dressed in a white doctor's coat, face still expressionless.

thomas took one look at newt and instantly knew that janson did something to him behind his back. newt did not look the same at all. his skin is paler, lips slightly purple, veins were very visible. all of which are signs of someone who was infected. when janson closed the door behind him, thomas let his mask fall and got onto his knees. tears started flowing before he could even realise they were there.

he looked at newt, who could only look at him with nothing but pain and hurt. but thomas didn't know. he didnt know that janson was tired of waiting for something to happen and decided to speed things up by eliminating the "useless ones". thomas could not find his words, his voice trapped in his throat, refusing to come out. gently, newt reached over to thomas's hands and held it in his.