[18] Blurred lines

The picture on the top is Hekili (def not Maui 😉)

When Neteyam came to school today, he looked really tired. I should ask Kiri if he slept enough last night. Or at all.

I feel like he's getting worse... is it my fault? Am I doing something wrong that's making him feel worse? I really hope not...

"Ao'nung! Ao'nung! Are you listening to me at all?" Neteyam pulls me out of my thoughts by shaking me. "Huh? Oh sorry... I zoned out" I give him a smile. He looks like he's overthinking. Oh god what do I do?

"What do we have next?" I ask, hoping to get his mind off of whatever he was overthinking about. "Oh uh... we have... Maths then Computing... Then German, English... and Drama." He reads out from his schedule, showing me the piece of paper.

"Thanks" I smile, letting him sit down in tutor time first. As he does so I see a bruise on the back of his neck. "Dude, what happened?" I ask and try to get a better look at the bruise. "What? Oh nothing" He turns away from me and hides the bruise behind his hand.

"Either you tell me or I ask Kiri" I threaten, pretending to take my phone to text Neteyam's sister. "Fine! Fine! I fell back against an unstable surface and landed in the ground wrong" He puts his hands up defensively.

How the fuck did that happen? Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth?

I can't tell anymore...

"Dude we've already got to go to maths" He comments, pointing at the other students who are getting their stuff and standing up. "Oof" I sigh and stand up, holding out a hand for him to pull himself up as well.

We walk to maths and sit down in the back right corner of the classroom, next to the window. I begin my five-a-day on my surface pro, getting through the whole page before the teacher even enters the room. I'm about to go on a random dodgy site and play some games when I see Neteyam staring blankly at his screen.

"Do you want some help?" I ask him, tilting my head. "Yes please" He sighs, turning his screen towards me. I chuckle and explain each of the questions in a simple way, trying to avoid him losing focus. I can tell that he is tired...

We get about halfway through the page before the teacher comes in and begins explaining today's lesson. I don't really pay attention to the lesson though.

My focus is directed at my friend.

He doesn't look like he's paying attention either, but he doesn't even look like he's present. Like he's in the room but at the same time not...

[@Floofy_Guinea_pig, do you ever get a little bit tired of life...]

I wonder what he's thinking about...

What if it's something bad? Should I distract him? Or what if he doesn't want to talk right now? What if he'll just get more upset because he wants to be alone...?

Ugh this is so hard....

Before I can do anything, the bell rings. Damn I must have been really distracted if I just zoned out for a whole fucking hour.

I stand up and look over at Neteyam and see that he still hasn't reacted to the bell ringing. I tap him softly on the shoulder, not wanting to startle him. "Huh?" He looks over at me confused so I point around the classroom at the students that are getting their stuff and standing behind their chairs.

"Oh right..." He chuckles nervously, standing up and putting his surface in his bag. "You sure you'll be okay? Ms Akrebay won't be happy if you zone out in her computing lesson" I look down at him worried.