Filling in the Gaps.

Bill left for the hotel with the promise of a quick return. Maeve stood beside Tom as they waited for the taxi Tom had called for.
It was silent. Not an awkward one, neither had anything to say, it was more peaceful than anything.
Maeve watched the cars pass fastly, only a blur of light to her in her eyes. She folded her arms across her chest, trying to grasp on to any heat to warm her.

Tom exhaled the smoke of his cigarette, he watched the crowd walking the street opposite them. He dropped the cigarette to the ground, crushing it under his foot once it finished. The scent of smoke clung to him, along with the alcohol and another musky scent she couldn't identify.

Tom glanced down at the girl beside him, like he had done many times before during their wait. He looked away once he realized he was staring for too long. Wordlessly, he shrugged of his black coat, he stood behind Maeve, placing it gently on her shoulders.

Maeve tried to keep her surprise discreet. She held the coat securely in place, the arms of the coat falling over her bare ones.
She looked up at him, grateful for the act.

"Thank you"  she smiled up at him, her cheeks flushed from the cold air.

"No problem, flower" Tom hummed, not seeing the act as a big deal.

Concurrently, a cream coloured car pulled up infront of the two, 'Taxi' written on top of the car in black writing.
Tom stepped forward opening the door, instead of sliding in he stood to the side looking at Maeve expectantly.

Maeve smiled appreciatively, mumbling a 'thank you'. She sat inside at the far end.

As Tom got in, Maeve told the driver her address in the little German she remembered. The driver nodded, starting the car. Maeve relaxed in her seat. She watched the window silently, the radio was playing lowly, but she could just about hear it.

"That boyfriend of your's doesn't seem like much fun" Tom broke the silence. He spoke casually, looking like he had only spoke of the weather.

Maeve turned to him confused, "he's not my boyfriend" she clarified.

"You should probably let him know that" once again, he didn't miss a beat to respond. He was looking at her now. There was the empty middle seat between them, but Tom's legs were spread out, and his scent filled the car. It was like she was on top of him. She felt his eyes all over her.

"He doesn't see me like that, and anyways, he is a fun guy. He was just worried about me"

Tom didn't say anything, only humming in response.
The rest of the car ride was quiet, sometimes the driver would bring up a topic and Tom would give his opinion, Maeve making small comments as to not seem rude.

Finally Maeve saw her apartment complex, she felt as if seeing the building triggered all the exhaustion in her body.
Tom paid for the taxi, beating her to it. He spoke to the driver in German, Maeve got out of the car.

She mentally thanked Tom again for giving her his coat. She was sure she wouldn't be able to move if he hadn't.
She began the walk to the entrance, she could hear Tom's footsteps following behind her. Maeve squeezed her eyes shut for a second, her eyes hurting from the bright lights inside the building.

The elevator doors opened, a tall broad man walking out of it. He didn't look at Maeve or Tom, being far too occupied with grumbling angrily to himself. Maeve swore she had heard him mention something along the lines of, 'stupid fucking boss', and by Tom's face, she guessed he had heard it too.

The pair stepped inside, Maeve pushed the button with her floor number. She ignored the feeling of the elevator moving upwards.
She rested her head against the elevator wall, her eyes drooping. She imagined the feeling of her body underneath warm blankets, her head on her soft pillow, completely asleep. Her lips pulled to the side in a half smile at the thought. Normally she loved spending the night having fun, she guessed she was experiencing jet lag.