Pain of Love.

Maeve sat on the footpath. She stared hopelessly out in the darkness, wishing for some sort of sign to tell her what to do. She wanted to pull out her hair in frustration. She was mad at herself for letting her emotions get in the way, she was made at that girl for kissing Tom. She was mad at Tom for kissing that girl. Yet a quiet voice in the back of her mind spoke the harsh truth, that it was her that let herself think for even a second that things could be serious between her and Tom. She knew it wasn't fair to be upset with him. She wanted desperately to be mad at him, but she couldn't.

The corset top she wore didn't do much to keep her warm. Maeve folded her arms in her lap, sitting with her knees up.
She pulled her phone from the back pocket of her trousers. She called the one person she knew that would make her feel less shitty. The phone rang twice before it was answered. Maeve held the device up to her ear as she waited to hear that familiar voice.

"Maeve! Hi, how are you? How was the concert?" Emilia spoke cheerfully on the other end of the phone. Maeve smiled once she heard her voice. It calmed her.

"It was good. The boys were great and the crowd loved them." Maeve forced her voice to sound more happy. The more she let herself think about the concert, the more harder it became to stop herself from crying.
"How did it go with your parents?"

Maeve heard Emilia squeal excitedly.

"Oh Maeve! It went so well. I told them all about the photoshoot and how you helped me. They're so proud. Can you believe that?" Emilia laughed in disbelief.
Maeve didn't say anything. She listened to her best friend speak, smiling along with every word she said even though Emilia couldn't see it. Emilia's happiness was the cure for Maeve's sadness.

"Ever since that photoshoot, I've been getting contacted by all these agencies! I think I might be actually getting somewhere. Maeve, I owe it all to you. We've only known each other for a short time, but I want to live this life with you. I want to model whilst you live as a photographer."

Maeve chuckled softly into the phone. Hot, salty tears were rolling down her cheeks, she couldn't stop them. Hearing Emilia's words caused her emotions to flood her senses all at once. The life Emilia described, was exactly what Maeve wanted. Just the two of them.

"Yeah. That's sounds perfect." Maeve's voice cracked as she spoke. She didn't know if Emilia managed to hear them. Maeve smiled weekly. She took a deep breath in before letting it out.

"I love you so much Maeve. Remember that ok? I'll see you soon." Emilia spoke more seriously into the phone. It took everything in her body for Maeve not to cry. She wanted to tell her about Tom and that girl. She wanted to express her feelings, but she didn't even know what she was feeling.

"I love you too." Maeve whispered back. She waited for Emilia to end the call. When she did, Maeve bit her lip to prevent her sobs from escaping. She felt so pathetic.

Maeve hugged the phone against her chest. She didn't know what to do.

She wished her dad was here, he'd know what to do. He would listen to her and somehow understand. He would know the right thing to say.

Maeve snapped out of her thoughts when she heard footsteps approach her. Lazily she looked over her shoulder to see who it was.

Bill stood behind her, watching her with pinched brows and frowning lips. Maeve turned away from him. She didn't want him to see her like this.

Bill sighed. He took out a cigarette and walked over to her, sitting on the pavement next to her.

"You were amazing out there. You should be proud of yourself." Maeve broke the silence. She wanted to seem as collected as possible.
She fiddled nervously with her ringed fingers. It didn't take much to notice her voice was shaky and cracked. Bill examined her face.