10

As I left the church, where I had spent two hours, I felt even more confused than I had been before. I feel as if something is wrong.

I don't know what's wrong with me; maybe I should talk to Julia and Carmen-

"Mariane?..."

Hearing that voice made me freeze in my tracks. I only felt so horrified that my heart began to race.

"Elizabeth?..."

"It is you! Hey! I haven't seen you in a week! I thought maybe we'd run into each other again on the island, but I couldn't find you. I suppose I should have asked for your phone number!" She looked so happy to see me. It made me feel emotional.

"Oh...really?"

"Yes! But I realize now that we agreed that we wouldn't see each other again. Is there any way I can get you to reconsider our relationship?" She smiled. She was genuine. She wanted to be my friend. However, in truth, I was scared of her. I was scared of how she made me feel.

"Why exactly do you want to be my friend? We have nothing in common. I mean...we don't believe in the same things. You and I are too opposite," I spoke. I was contradicting my thoughts constantly. However, it was because the feeling she gave me made me confused.

"Oh, come on...I thought we had fun the other day," she spoke. She stopped me in my tracks, looking at me with a smile. She had her hair down, and she didn't wear bold makeup like I had seen on other occasions. She wore a mini skirt, and a mesh shirt, exposing her bra underneath.

Indecently beautiful.

I hate it.

"Well...I don't think we should talk about the other day...it was indecent and...sinful....and..."

I began walking, and she followed beside me. "What? It was only a demonstration. It isn't like you went and did it on your own! You are too good for that," she laughed. However, I didn't. I stayed silent, trying not to stare at her. I could feel my face turning red. "Oh, no way! You did! Didn't you!"

"WHAT? Why on earth would you think that?!" I felt my face more reddened, and I tried walking away from her, but she still followed me. "Oh, you don't need to lie to me! It's natural to be curious...and also your face is extremely red," she laughed.

Elizabeth walked in front of me, stopping me. I could only look at her, annoyed. "Are you trying to mess with me? Why do you want to be around, anyway?" I asked. She had that stupid smirk on her face again, shrugging. "You are cute and innocent; I think it's attractive!"

"Oh...OH!..."

"What? Are you about to curse me? Cute—"

"TARTS! YOU are...not nice!"

"Hmmm, not the approach I thought—"

"I am doing my best, you know? I want to show you the light and hopefully rid your soul of sin, but you are making it hard. You make it hard for me! I don't understand why! Why do I feel overwhelmed right now? And I know it's because of you! because this has never happened before..." I started. I had stopped slowly, thinking of what had happened when I was younger. "Well...not really, at least," I spoke.

She smiled at me, suddenly entangling our arms. "I'd love  to hear about it," she smiled. She was an evil woman. I couldn't fight her, even if I genuinely wanted to. The reality was, I wanted to be around her more than I wanted her to know. "Doll face, I don't mean to tempt you into things, but it is nice when it works," she spoke.

I felt my face getting hot again and felt helpless. I am still a child of god, and I need to figure out why I feel this way. Then, once I figure out why I'm feeling this way, I will crush it and rebuild myself.

I couldn't tell if god was putting her in my life to test or reward me.

"I won't get rid of you, huh? You are very assertive..."

"No, not anytime soon. I am having fun with this!"

"Fine! I will tell you everything you want to know...then, when you are satisfied, will you leave me alone?" I asked. I held my hands together, and she looked down at them. I could not help but stop what I was saying as I looked at her.

"Why are you looking at my hands?" I asked. She had been giving me this aura. Like she truly wanted to be around me.

"I really want to hold your hand right now...but I know you would kill me..."

"Killing is a sin..."

"Metaphorically..."

"Oh..."

We stood before each other, and I smiled, holding my hand out for her. "Well, if I want to try and be friends with a sinner like you, I should be nice," I laughed. Okay, I was teasing her a bit.

She noticed my smirk, taking my hand. "Somehow, I found that really sweet. Thank you?" She spoke. We began walking, hand in hand, receiving looks from a few people. Luckily, it wasn't anyone I noticed.

"So, tell me how you are feeling," she started. Elizabeth had begun swinging our hands back and forth, and I let her do it. "Well, it isn't a long story if that is what you are hoping for. It happened when I was younger..."

"Oh dang, I was hoping for a show with snacks," she laughed. I rolled my eyes at what she said, and we continued to walk.

"Honestly, you are unbelievable..."

"Doll face, I can give you a few unbelievable things. I am not one of them—"

"Anyway! I'm trying to be a good girl, and you are making it hard!" I snapped. She looked at me as if she didn't know what I was talking about. "You are a good girl; you are my good girl!"

"I'm not your anything!" I spoke. However, she just gave me a side-eye.

"Okay, I'll stop...tell me what happened!" She whined. Elizabeth was impatient. I ought to make a list of her characteristics. Just to look at the differences we had with each other.

"Well...when I was younger...I had been in the swim team for a long time. And well, one day, as we changed our clothes in the rooms, I stopped and stared at a girl. I didn't mean for it to come off weird. I thought she was beautiful, and I couldn't help but stare. However, it went downhill from there."