Chapter Two - The Meeting

"Well, that was rough."

Lando and I had just arrived at our hotel in Bahrain, in preparation for the year's pre-season testing; the Grand Prix was in a mere week. However, the pair of us had just endured 7 hours of horrendous turbulence on our flight after a three-hour delay at Heathrow, plus Lando had thrown up in transit. It was safe to say that we were both feeling rather exhausted.

"Tell me about it." I groaned, pulling my small suitcase behind me with a weak arm. "I would love to just go to bed, but we've got this party thing." As I traipsed along, my eyes goggled at the Al Areen Palace Resort & Spa hotel of which would be accommodating me.

The lobby was a lavish and opulent space, adorned with intricate details and luxurious furnishings. As you entered, you were greeted by a grand chandelier hanging from the high ceiling, casting a warm, golden glow throughout the room. The floor was adorned with polished marble tiles, reflecting the soft lighting and adding to the elegant ambiance. Plush velvet sofas and ornate armchairs were arranged in intimate seating areas, all featuring rich, jewel-toned upholstery. The walls were decorated with large, gilded mirrors and artwork that exuded sophistication. A concierge desk with gleaming marble and brass accents stood prominently, ready to assist guests. In one corner, a grand piano provided live music, adding to the atmosphere of refinement.

Lando laughed. "It's literally a welcome party for you. You've got to turn up. You can't exactly meet the other drivers if you're not there."

"What are you two wittering on about?" I heard Mel's voice.

I turned my head, seeing Mel walking beside Mark Berryman, Lando's manager. I always loved having Mel as a manager, but it did often feel as though I had a babysitter at my heels.

"Just about Ana's welcome party later on." Lando sang as the soles of his trainers slid across the hotel lobby's tiled floor. "She can't wait to meet Charles." He wiggled his eyebrows up and down.

My eyebrows fell into a deep furrow as I glared at the teammate. "What the hell are you talking about? I haven't mentioned Leclerc whatsoever!"

"I know, but it's just a hunch." Lando shrugged his shoulders. "I have seen Charles, you know."

"Oh, shut up, you." I continued to scowl at Lando, but my features soon relaxed. How could one remain mad at Lando Norris? He was like a ball of sunshine. "I know his brother, though."

Lando turned to look at me with a raised eyebrow as Mel and Mark spoke to the reception staff in order to check us in to our rooms. "Arthur?"

I nodded. "Mhm, raced together for a bit in Formula 2 last year."

"What about any of the other F1 drivers? Do you know any of them?" Lando asked.

My head shook. "I know of them, but I don't know them. I'm pretty sure Yuki and Pierre walked past me once at a race last year and I nearly collapsed, but I've not met any of them."

"Please God don't collapse at this party." Lando chuckled as he leant his back against one of the vast pillars that framed the hotel lobby. "They are there to meet you, not your unconscious body."

I laughed, but suddenly gulped as my eyes widened. "Lando." My voice was a quiet whisper.

He looked at me through the side of his eyes. "What? What's the matter? Why do you look like you've just seen a ghost?" He was wafting a hand in front of my eyes to break my trance-like state.

I was staring at the rotating doors at the front of the hotel. Standing there in an oversized black T-shirt, a baggy pair of green cargo pants and darkened sunglasses, was the current legend of Formula 1 himself. I felt my mouth go abnormally dry. "That's Lewis Hamilton. The Lewis Hamilton."