Chapter Forty - The Sense Of Freedom

Current 2024 Driver Standings After The Azerbaijan Grand Prix

1: Max Verstappen
2: Charles Leclerc
3: Lando Norris
4: Carlos Sainz
5: Anastasia Henderson
6: Sergio Perez
7: Lewis Hamilton
8: George Russell
9: Fernando Alonso
10: Yuki Tsunoda
11: Lance Stroll
12: Nico Hulkenberg
13. Daniel Ricciardo
14: Alexander Albon
15. Esteban Ocon
16. Kevin Magnussen
17. Pierre Gasly
18. Zhou Guanyu
19. Valtteri Bottas
20. Logan Sargeant

I was finally allowed out of isolation five days after my original positive test, and let me tell you, it was a bloody good feeling

I felt a mix of relief and excitement as I gathered my things and prepared to leave the confines of my hotel room. F1 was a very social sport, and I was used to spending every day with Charles, Lando, Mel, and the rest of the team. Being completely isolated had been a weird feeling, and I was more than ready to rejoin the world.

I opened the door to my hotel room, and there he was: Charles, standing with a bunch of red flowers and a grin that could light up the darkest room.

"Mon amour!" He exclaimed, pulling me into a tight hug. "I've missed you so much."

I hugged him back just as tightly, feeling a rush of emotions. "I missed you too, Charles. You have no idea how weird it's been, being away from everyone."

He handed me the flowers, and I couldn't help but smile at the sight of them. "These are beautiful, thank you. Red for Ferrari?" I winked lightheartedly.

"Nothing but the best for you." He said, his eyes twinkling. "I thought you might like something cheerful after being cooped up for so long."

I took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet scent of the flowers. "You have no idea how much this means to me. It feels like I've been cut off from the world."

Charles nodded, his expression softening. "I know. Seven days might not sound like much to others, but for us, it's an eternity."

I laughed, feeling a bit lighter for the first time in days. "Tell me about it. I felt like I was going to lose my mind in that bloody room. The worst part was not even being able to watch the race properly. It's a shame I've got to get on a plane again this afternoon. I've seen nothing in Baku!"

He took my hand, leading me down the hallway. "Well, you're out now, and we have a lot of catching up to do."

As we walked, I realised just how much I had missed the simple act of being around people. The chatter in the corridors, the clinking of dishes from the hotel restaurant, even the distant hum of the city outside—it all felt so vibrant and alive.

"Did anything interesting happen while I was away?" I asked, eager to hear about the past week.

Charles shrugged, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. "You'll have to catch up with everyone to get all the details, but let's just say it wasn't the same without you."