Chapter Nineteen - The Boss

I walked into the garage with a stride that was probably a bit too nonchalant given the situation brewing behind me. Zak Brown's stern gaze was practically a laser beam boring into the back of my head. I could sense the impending storm of questions and possibly some stern words on the horizon.

I tried my best to conjure an explanation that wouldn't make matters worse. "Zak, it's not what it looks like. Just a chance encounter, you know. Friendly chit-chat, that's all!"

He wasn't buying it. Arms folded and a stern look etched on his face, Zak was in full CEO mode. "Friendly chit-chat with Ferrari? We're not running a social club here, Ana. This is a racing team, and Ferrari is our competition!"

I winced, knowing I had stirred the hornet's nest. "I understand, Zak. It won't happen again. Just a momentary lapse, I swear."

He sighed, a mix of frustration and concern evident in his voice. "Ana, you're a valuable part of this team. We need you to keep your focus, especially when it comes to our rivals. No more unexpected gatherings, alright?"

I nodded, feeling the weight of his disappointment. "Understood, Zak. Strictly business from now on."

As I scurried away, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of regret. My attempt at fostering camaraderie had backfired, and now I was feeling the heat. Lesson learned—the rival paddock was strictly off-limits in the eyes of our CEO.

"Hey, what was that all about?" Lando asked, popping up at my side. "Zak's got his mean face on."

I sighed, folding my arms over my chest. "Oh, he saw me walk into the paddock with Charles and his mum, and Arthur too. Says I shouldn't be 'fraternising with the enemy' and whatnot."

"Do you think you should just tell him about you and Charles?" Lando questioned, looking at me with raised eyebrows.

I shrugged my shoulders pathetically. "Well, I considered it. But, after that reaction to me simply walking across the paddock with him, I can't see that it would go down well." I threw my head back and groaned. "Fuck."

Lando rubbed a hand in between my shoulder blades. "Hey, don't get hung up on it for now. Focus on the race, and then we'll have a fun day tomorrow, yeah?"

I looked at my teammate, feeling almost emotional as I witnessed his support in motion. As Monaco was Charles' hometown, the three of us had planned to go out on his yacht whilst we had the luxury of a day off mid season.

"Mhm." I nodded. "I'm looking forward to it."

The Monaco Grand Prix—where the air was thick with anticipation and the pressure weighed heavily on the shoulders of every driver. It wasn't just any race; it was Charles' home turf, a track that held the weight of his expectations. Lando, ever so hungry for his maiden win, was itching to make a statement. And me? Well, it felt like the whole world was waiting for me to falter.

The sun danced across the azure waters of the harbor, casting a shimmering backdrop to the glitz and glamour of Monte Carlo. The yachts, lined up like jewels in the harbor, boasted a spectacle of wealth and sophistication. The circuit wound its way through the heart of the principality, snaking past chic boutiques, opulent casinos, and historic landmarks—a track both beautiful and treacherous.

The atmosphere in the paddock crackled with nervous energy. Fans, bedecked in vibrant colors, eagerly cheered their favorites, the air punctuated by chants and enthusiastic roars. The buzz of excitement was palpable, mingling with the scent of engines and freshly brewed coffee.

Each team worked feverishly in their garages, mechanics darting about, fine-tuning the machines for the unforgiving streets of Monaco. The paddock was a hive of activity, a symphony of engines revving, tools clanging, and last-minute adjustments being made.