Chapter Twenty Five - The Advocate

As Charles and I discussed our action plan for the upcoming Grand Prix events, a sense of determination settled over us. We knew that in order to protect our careers and avoid unwanted rumors, we had to be strategic in our approach. We agreed to limit our interactions in public settings, ensuring that we were never seen too close together. If we were spotted, we would maintain a polite and civil demeanor, nothing more.

But as the Canadian Grand Prix unfolded, I found it increasingly challenging to adhere to our plan. Every instinct within me yearned to spend every moment by Charles' side, to revel in his presence and seek solace in his companionship. Yet, I knew that our plan was the best course of action for both of our careers, and I was determined to stick to it.

Despite the difficulty of suppressing my desires, I remained steadfast in my commitment to our agreement. With each passing moment, I reminded myself of the importance of prioritising our professional obligations above all else. And as we navigated the bustling paddock together, I focused on maintaining a respectful distance, all the while longing for the day when we could freely embrace our connection without fear of consequence.

I intended to put all of my focus into the race that Sunday. The practise sessions had been mediocre on my part, and the qualifiers borderline worse, so the race was all about redemption for me.

I sat in 10th position after said shitty qualifiers. As the lights flickered to green, I pushed the memories of past victories and cherished moments to the forefront of my mind. I imagined the roar of the crowd as I raced around the track, the familiar faces of my friends and family cheering me on from the sidelines. In that moment, I felt the weight of their unwavering support, a comforting presence that spurred me onward with renewed resolve.

With each turn of the wheel, I channeled the spirit of my karting days, the thrill of competition mingling with the echoes of laughter and camaraderie shared with my closest companions. I remembered my mum and dad's proud smiles as they watched me chase my dreams, their unwavering belief in my abilities serving as a beacon of strength in times of doubt.

As the race unfolded, I found myself immersed in the rhythm of the track, the adrenaline coursing through my veins driving me to push harder, go faster. With each lap, I focused on the task at hand, blocking out the distractions and uncertainties that threatened to cloud my mind.

And as I crossed the finish line, the cheers of the crowd ringing in my ears, I knew that I had achieved more than just a podium finish. I had proven my worth, not just to others, but to myself. I had shown that I was worthy of a seat in the fiercely competitive world of Formula 1, a force to be reckoned with on and off the track.

"P2, Ana. P2." Jake's voice rumbled through my ear piece. "That is another podium. Two in your rookie season? A force to be reckoned with."

I grinned from ear to ear as I heard Jake's congratulations. He had been so supportive since the very first second that I joined the team.

Zak, however, eh...

"Well done Ana!" The CEO whooped through the radio. "Congratulations! See! Look at the results you can get when you focus solely on the race."

I didn't let his comment waver my happiness, however. Blocking it out entirely, forgetting completely about its existence, I celebrated my win with my colleagues and fellow racing drivers.

With a sense of satisfaction coursing through my veins, I allowed myself a moment of commemoration before turning my thoughts to the challenges that lay ahead. But as I stood on the podium, the taste of victory sweet upon my lips, I knew that no matter what the future held, I would face it head-on with the same determination and resilience that had carried me through this race.

Lewis stood beside me on the first place podium, thrusting his trophy into the sky. Max was on his other side, truthfully looking rather deflated at his third place victory.

"You, my girl, are something else." Lewis grinned at me, his voice a murmur over the catatonic buzz of the crowd. "World champion in the making, I promise you! And I'm going to be here to see it, kiddo."

I was convinced that I actually felt my heart growing warm behind my rib cage. Lewis' advocating words, the ricochet of the crowd's cheering, the cool feeling of the metal trophy in my palm. They all made the battle and the grief worth it.

My cheeks grew tight. "Love you, Lew."

"Love you, Ana."

Lewis leant closer to me, so that his hushed voice could be heard easier. "I was thinking, when we're in Spain next week, we should have a drivers dinner or something. If there's a group of us, there's less attention on you and Charles. You can socialise in peace."

"Oh, that sounds amazing, Lew."

My eyes fluttered through the nearest crowds as I searched for that red suit. I heard a distinctive sound far before I saw it.

The whistle.

Bingo. There he was.

Charles was grinning up at me as if the sun itself beamed from within his skin.

In that moment, time seemed to slow to a crawl, the cacophony of noise around me fading into the background as my gaze locked with Charles'. It was as though we were the only two people in the world, connected by an unspoken bond that transcended the confines of the racetrack.

With a sense of euphoria washing over me, I couldn't suppress the smile that tugged at the corners of my lips as I raised the trophy high above my head. And as the cheers of the crowd swelled to a deafening crescendo, I felt a surge of gratitude for the unwavering support of those who stood by me, both on and off the track.

Suddenly, my gaze fell upon Christian Horner, the team principal of Red Bull Racing. A chill ran down my spine, sending shivers coursing through my body.

Even from a distance, I could sense the intensity of his gaze, the coldness of his expression sending a wave of unease washing over me. There was something unsettling about the way he watched me, something predatory lurking behind his steely exterior.

Despite the jubilant atmosphere surrounding me, I couldn't shake the feeling of foreboding that settled in the pit of my stomach. It was as though I could feel his eyes boring into me, dissecting my every move with a calculating precision that sent alarm bells ringing in my mind.

And then, just as quickly as the feeling had come, it was gone, replaced by the roar of the crowd and the jubilant celebrations of my teammates. But the memory of Christian's chilling gaze lingered, casting a shadow over the euphoria of my victory and leaving me with a sense of unease that refused to be shaken.

As I turned away from the podium, the weight of his stare still lingering in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but wonder what he was up to. What was it about me that had drawn his attention, and what sinister machinations lay behind that inscrutable expression?

But try as I might, I couldn't shake the feeling that Christian Horner was up to something, and that whatever it was, it spelled trouble for me and my team. And as I made my way back to the paddock, the sense of unease that had settled over me like a dark cloud refused to dissipate, leaving me with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that something sinister was lurking just beneath the surface.