Chapter Twenty - The Days In Monaco

"Ugh

"Ugh." My eyes rolled. "Do they seriously have nothing else to report on? Look at this headline on Channel 4. I get P3 and does anyone give a damn? No!"

Charles took the phone from my hand and placed it at an arms stretch, somewhere that I could not reach. "Ignore it, ma chérie. They will report on us drivers no matter what. We blink when they've got no story and they make something out of it."

The sun-drenched sky of Monaco painted a canvas of azure brilliance, its vivid hues mirrored by the gentle ripples of the Mediterranean Sea. Charles' yacht, a luxurious oasis adrift in the glamour of the principality, provided a front-row seat to this breathtaking spectacle.

Lando, oblivious to the world, lay sprawled on a plush deck lounger, basking in the warmth. The sun, a benevolent guardian, kissed his features with a golden glow as he embraced a leisurely midday nap.

"Mhm." I hummed at Charles, throwing my forearm dramatically over my forehead. "You're always right."

Charles and I stretched out on the deck, a pair of content observers beneath the vast expanse of the heavens. The soft hum of the yacht's engine, the rhythmic lull of the sea, and the distant laughter from the Monaco coastline created a symphony of tranquility.

Above us, the sky was a canvas of possibility—endless, boundless, and painted with the dreams we dared to envision. The sun bathed us in its benevolence, casting a warm embrace that whispered tales of serenity and joy.

Despite the idyllic scene, my bliss was tinged with a momentary pang. That godforsaken news article, a glimpse into the outside world. The headline, adorned with a picture of my determined racing profile, reminded me of the relentless nature of the sport.

Yet, in the embrace of the Monaco sunshine, with Charles by my side and the rhythmic lull of the sea as our companion, the external pressures felt distant. The laughter of the city, the cheers of the crowd, and the expectations of the racing world momentarily melted away.

I gazed up at the sky, my mind dancing among the clouds, the concerns momentarily eclipsed by the warmth of the moment. The yacht became a haven, shielding us from the outside chaos, allowing us to exist in this tranquil cocoon.

A smile tugged at my lips as I watched the gentle rise and fall of Lando's chest in slumber, the cares of the world forgotten for a fleeting moment. The yacht, a vessel of both luxury and sanctuary, cradled us in the beauty of the Monaco day, inviting us to revel in the simple joy of shared moments beneath the sun-kissed sky.

"He's completely dead to the world, you know." I nudged Charles beside me with my elbow, gesturing my eyes in Lando's direction. He had a garishly-patterned bucket hat tilted forward to protect his eyes from the sun, and his mouth was hanging open ever so slightly.

Charles rolled over onto his tummy and propped himself up on his forearms. He wrapped his hand around the side of my neck and jaw and smiled at me. "Then he won't have to watch me do this."