Chapter Forty Two - The Breaking News

If my life wasn't bat-shit crazy enough before that announcement came out, it most certainly was now

It felt like every waking moment was filled with interviews, media appearances, and endless phone calls. I barely had a moment to catch my breath, let alone reflect on the enormity of what had just happened to me.

The first few days were a blur. I had flown back to the UK to see my dad and Evie. I needed their reassurance and grounding amidst the chaos. My dad had greeted me with his usual calm demeanor, but I could see the pride in his eyes.

"Look at you, poppet." He said, pulling me into a hug. "My Anastasia, joining Ferrari. You've made it."

I smiled, feeling a lump in my throat. "I couldn't have done it without you, Dad. You, Mum and Evie have always been my rock."

Evie, on the other hand, was practically bouncing with excitement. "I can't believe it! My sister, driving for Ferrari! You're going to be driving with Charles!"

We laughed, the sound a soothing balm amidst the frenzy. "I know, Evie. It's surreal."

Back in the paddock, it was another story. Every race weekend seemed more hectic than the last. The media frenzy was unlike anything I had ever experienced. Cameras flashed in my face, microphones were shoved under my nose, and everyone wanted a piece of the newest Ferrari driver.

"How does it feel to be the first female driver for Ferrari?" One journalist asked, shoving a microphone towards me.

"It's an incredible honour." I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. "Ferrari is a team with such a rich history, and I'm proud to be a part of it."

But it wasn't just the media. My phone buzzed constantly with messages from friends, family, and even people I hadn't heard from in years. Everyone wanted to congratulate me, to share in the excitement.

Charles had been my saviour through all of it. He understood the pressure, the scrutiny. He'd been through it himself. One evening, after a particularly grueling day of interviews, he found me sitting in my hotel room, staring blankly at the wall.

"You okay, ma chérie?" He asked, sitting down beside me.

I sighed, leaning my head on his shoulder. "It's just so overwhelming. I knew it would be busy, but this is something else."

He wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close. "It'll get easier. Just take it one day at a time. And remember, you're not alone in this."

Mel, too, had been a constant source of support. She managed my schedule, deflecting unnecessary distractions and making sure I had some semblance of a normal life. One morning, as we were heading to yet another interview, she turned to me with a grin.

"Think you can handle being the center of attention for a bit longer?" She teased.

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help but smile. "I suppose I'll survive. But seriously, Mel, thank you. I couldn't do this without you."