Episode Sixteen

Kaleb didn't sit with us at lunch, which had been a major relief

Kaleb didn't sit with us at lunch, which had been a major relief. He'd sat at the other end of the table with Maryanne. She had been all over him. She was kissing his cheek constantly and caressing his back. It was overkill. I wondered if I was the only one seeing this.

After lunch, I asked Travis to show me his locker, and he had been elated.

"Maybe I'll meet you at your locker in the morning one day?" I said as I looked at how much stuff he had inside it. Our lockers weren't exactly big, but Travis was a pack rat. A balled-up paper fell out when he opened it, and I laughed. He needed to clean it out. It was a mess, but I didn't say anything.

"I'd like that." Travis shut his locker after grabbing a few notebooks.

"So, what's your next class?" I asked.

"Art." He said.

"Really? I have art too, but my class is at the end of the day." I said as he took my hand. I decided to walk him to art. I still had time, and I wanted to keep walking with him.

"Oh, you're in the advanced class," One of Travis's eyebrows arched as the corner of his mouth lifted into a half smile.

"Yeah, so?" I nudged him.

"So, nothing. That's awesome. I'm going to look around the class for your work. I'm sure Mrs. G has it hung up somewhere." Travis lifted my hand, kissing my fingers.

We suddenly passed Kaleb and Maryanne. He had his arm around her, which surprised me. Was he really in love with her? Just questioning that made me feel strange inside. What if he had lied to me, and he was?

Maybe it was an act, but I couldn't tell. His eyes connected with mine, and I smiled, but he looked away without acknowledging me. I knew he saw me for a moment, and it bothered me. This morning he'd been all about being friends with me, and now he couldn't even give me a smile or anything. I wondered if we were going backward in time. He'd done this before, and it had ended with Randy taking me for a ride. I didn't blame Kaleb for Randy, but I did blame him for what he had told his teammates.

"So the game starts at six tonight." Travis held me close as he led me through the crowd. "You're gonna be there, right?"

"Of course," I gave him a big smile as I squeezed his hand.

"Gutter slut." A girl from class said as she passed me.

Travis turned around to say something, but I stopped him this time. "Just ignore it. Things have been getting better for me by the way."

"Good. When people talk shit about you, I flip out. You don't deserve that shit. You never did." Travis slowed as we got to the art room.

"I guess I'll see you at the game." I wound my arms around his neck and gave him a big hug.

Travis squeezed me tight, and suddenly I was very aware of how my boobs were pressed to his chest. I liked it. He'd done nothing but fight for me today. I was lucky to have him in my corner.