Chapter 1

Tara walked into the room. It was all modern and minimalist. The huge walls in beige and bold designs. No intricacies in art or architecture, just the blatant plain truth served on a neat, organized platter.

"Shehnaaz, do you have tampons?", she spoke, looking at the girl sitting in her front. No it wasn't her personal office, Shehnaaz was a new hiring and right now the only thing thing she had was a cubicle, but a cubicle was enough when you worked high and up in the bigggest law firms of the country. She wasn't satisfied, but was the beginning.

"I do not.", she spoke scanning through the book she was busy consulting.

"Yeah!" Tara nodded and moved out. Shehnaaz kept busy with whatever she was doing. She did not raise her head or share a smile with the woman. Mumbai was a fast city, or so she had been told. It was ruthlessly unforgiving to the lazy and to those who waited. But it was equally rewarding to the ones who had the capacity to endure and work, in all conditions and situations. Shehnaaz was the latter kind, she was ambitious and determined to have more than what life had offered. She wanted it all, at all costs.

It was late evening and Shehnaaz was due home. The weather however had a slightly different plans, the rain-soaked monsoon clouds descended upon the extraordinarily fast city of Mumbai, the young woman found herself standing on the balcony of her office in a high-rise building nestled within a posh locality. From this elevated vantage point, she gazed out at the magnificent view that unfolded before her, transformed by the arrival of the monsoon.

The city sprawled out in every direction, a vast tapestry of concrete and steel. The once bustling streets were now enveloped in a hazy curtain of rainfall, lending an air of tranquility to the usually chaotic metropolis. The gray skies cast a moody atmosphere over the scene, as if the city itself was preparing for a grand performance orchestrated by the monsoon.
Looking down, the woman's eyes followed the streets lined with towering buildings, now slick and glistening from the incessant rain. The cars below appeared as mere specks of color, their movements resembling a slow-motion ballet. Once large and powerful, they now seemed fragile and insignificant against the backdrop of nature's fury and from where she stood

As the rain intensified, so did the gusty winds that swept through the city. They whipped through the narrow lanes and between skyscrapers, creating a symphony of sound. The wind carried the scent of wet earth, mingling with the urban fragrance of exhaust fumes and distant street food vendors. It tugged at Shehanaaz's hair and clothes, as if beckoning her to surrender to the chaotic beauty of the monsoon and maybe in that mighty moment did she smile, unusual of her otherwise serious demeanor.

The raindrops plummeted from the sky with determination, creating a mesmerizing spectacle. They cascaded upon the city like a celestial waterfall, transforming the streets into reflective mirrors that shimmered with each drop. The rhythm of the rain provided a soothing melody that resonated in harmony with the bustling sounds of the city below.

Occasionally, lightning would streak across the darkened sky, illuminating the city in brief, ethereal bursts. The distant thunder rumbled like a timpani, adding depth and power to the already mesmerizing display. Shehnaaz felt a surge of energy within her, as if the very essence of Mumbai's spirit was coursing through her veins.

"Shehnaaz!" Called out Tara, as she opened the door to balcony.

Shehnaaz did not turn, but took the cigratte to.her lips and took another drag. Cigarette wasn't her usual idea of addiction but something was cooking in her head.

"You want a drag?" She spoke looking at the grey vastness that stretched across her, putting up the same cigratte for Tara to take.

"I came in to ask you, if you were done for the day. Boss asked me if you would go to the party, after all it was you who got us this win"