Chapter 17

"Fuck!" Shehnaaz meweled moving in her bed, her hand hitting the phone and switching off the alarm that rang in her phone.

It was four thirty in the morning and she needed to get ready for the day. Last   few days had been hectic, she had been working on an independent case, away from Siddharth, completely focused on herself. But then this was the day, Mayank had asked her to prepare the draft for the opening statement, that was to be presented in a day. She pulled herself out of the bed, moving through her routine ready to take in the case. Done with her gym, egg toast and a green tea , she picked up the files, her laptop, pens of various colors, highlighters and markers,  placing them in her bag, along with her phone charger,her lipstick and her phone keys. She walked ahead and stood at her apartment door, switching off the mains, " Behnchod!" She spoke again, walking back into the apartment to pick  her water bottle, filling it up.

"Mom please stay here , aap log aa ke kya karo ge? Naveen would be there, even though its is not needed, but only because you are insisting."  Siddharth spoke looking at his mother.

Reena looked at her son and nodded her head in denial. "I am your mother, I want to be there.", she moved closer to him placing her hand along his cheek and patting. Today wasn't a simple day, he was a prime accused in a murder case and after a lower court acquittal , a higher court trail awaited him. All His bets rested on Mayank and his ability to get a grip of a neat and tight case that police had stitched around him. "Tere lite jana hai udr, mai poora din yaha nahi reh sakugi. I want to be there. ", she spoke, "unlike last time" she wanted to add, but the scars of him being in handcuffs and being moved to police custody were still haunting enough.

Siddharth placed his hand over hers, and let go of a held breath. "It'll be okay mom!" He pulled her into his embrace, while she rested her head in hers embrace. Ironically it was her who should have comforted him, but strange is a the story for men. Even if theirs is the boat that is sinking they have to make sure that others stay afloat.

Reena moved out if his embrace, and looked upto him. "Please don't stop me beta, I want to be there. Bhavya hogi waha pe, I want to stanr with you, I know her presence would hurt you!"

"Yours is at 11:45 , you are prepared?", Mayank spoke to Shehnaaz as she handed him the final opening statement.  His eyes scanned through those and and his lips curved into a sly smile. He raised his eyes at her and opened his eyes wide, curling his lips, "This is a good one and you look good too!" He spoke looking at her.

She was appropriately to the regulations of bar council, in a black robe with a neck band, her hair open, while a plain nude lipstick covered her lips, ready for the opening for her first case. It was pro bono for a woman accused of murdering a man who had apparently attempted to rape her.

"You don't look nervous?", Mayank spoke looking at her, as she smiled.

"I am not. Your hearing?"

"12:45" he spoke scanning through the files he held in his hand, hardly looking at her.

Shehnaaz was enthusiastic, but a certain part of hers was nervous as well, he had been her mentor and maybe for a moment she wanted him to wish her good luck. "See you then!" She spoke walking out of his office.

Shehnaaz stood in front of the judge for her first hearing, her heart beating a little faster, she wanted this to go well. Through nothing could right or wrong at this day, she needed someone to sit in the audience and feel proud of her. She turner around and there was hardly any face she could recognize, her parents could never be proud of her, she knew this and that strangely did not  bitter her.

"....we gather here today to hear the case of the People versus  Radhika Patil
Ms. Patil is charged with the murder of Kalyan kumud , a man who, according to the defense, attempted to rape her. The purpose of this trial is to determine whether her actions were justifiable self-defense or, as the prosecution claims, an act of unjustifiable homicide." The judge spoke.