Part 13

Lockwood and Norrie spent the night in the hospital. They watched Lucy closely and silently. Norrie's face remained steely, but Lockwood's calm facade was crumbling into ashes, exposing his frantic demeanor. He was slouched in his chair, hair uncharacteristically tousled, his fingers running absentmindedly through them and messing them up even more. It was nearing dawn now. They had been there all night and a good portion of the afternoon.

  Norrie glanced at Lockwood and could tell he felt bad about something. But what did he have to feel bad about? He hadn't been with Lucy and he certainly didn't do anything to make her want to go into the ocean....WAIT. Did he do something to Lucy that made her nervous and want to get away? That was not his fault that she had chosen the ocean.

  Norrie chose to remain quiet. Instead, she patted him on the top of his head. "It's gonna be okay, giraffe." she said slightly jokingly. Lockwood jerked his head up. "WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP CALLING ME GIRAFFE?" "Because you are one. Now shush or the doctors will kick us out." 

  Lucy P.O.V

  My eyes are closed, but I hear low voices, millions of miles away. I'm drifting through a dark void, but I can still hear an insistent beeping. It's calm. For once, I don't hear anything. Apart from that beeping...

  It has to stop. I'm getting a headache. I try to raise my hand, but it feel partially paralyzed. The most I can do is move my fingers. Wait, paralyzed? Winkman! I try to throw myself out of my restraints, but all I can do is open my mouth slightly and frantically jerk my arms and legs around. 

  Lockwood P.O.V

  I'm about to drift off, but a gasp from Norrie wakes me up. "She just moved her fingers!" I'm instantly up, standing beside Lucy. After a few minutes of anxious waiting, I sit heavily down. "You're probably hallucinating. We should catch some sleep." I close my eyes but keep on hearing rustling noises. When I open them, Norrie is passed out in her chair, but Lucy....is moving!!! 

  "NORRIE!!!!!!!!!! SHE'S AWAKE!!!!" I squeal excitedly, quickly crouching beside Lucy. Norrie's up in a matter of milliseconds, crouching beside Lucy as well. Lucy's eyes fly open just as nurses pour through the double doors.

   "Nor...Lock..." she barely moves her lips, her fingers closing around ours. "It....hurts...." 

Norrie P.O.V  

A quiet tear slips down Lockwood's cheek. Oh bloody get married already, I think irritably. Get your tortured feelings out into the open, you complicated giraffe. I gently squeeze Lucy's hand. "It's okay. The doctors will help you. We will see you soon." I say slowly and clearly. She relaxes just barely as they wheel her out of the door.