01 | post office

ONE post office◀★▶

ONE post office
◀★▶

"You need envelopes without stamps," Ken repeated blankly, and Noelle ignored the boy as he followed her in the post office. "Elle, what's going on? Your aunt sick or something?"

Noelle didn't answer at first. But Ken could have one of the prizes for the world's most annoying person. Poking and prodding constantly, literally and metaphorically. "Come on, Noelle. Please, god. Does it have to do anything wi-"

"Don't say it!"

The post office went quiet, a few people watching her warily, and Noelle felt all the eyes on her as well as her cheeks heating up. "Sorry," She added, trying not to sound too embarrassed.

Ken didn't give up though, even when everyone looked away. "Come on, Noelle... Please. I'm your friend. If you don't trust me, tell Miya, or September, or... Sarah, or anyone. Or your dad! Or your old man, or Peterkins. Hell, tell Rafe Cameron for all I care. But don't keep it to yourself."

Noelle paused. Ken sounded oddly strained, like someone trying to keep themselves from falling off a cliff. I can't trust anyone. She thought, taking the blank, cream-colored envelopes without any hesitation. 

"Please."

Noelle shook her head, not wanting to speak. "No, Ken. I've got to keep some stuff to myself. Like this." She waved the envelope at him. "But when it's time, I'll tell you."

He shook his head, a sad sort of smirk on his face. "That's your way of saying you're not going to tell me what you're talking about, isn't it?"

She didn't answer, leaving Ken behind to answer his own question.