Chapter 29

"Daena, are you certain about this? If war is to come and they do not bend the knee..." Rhaenyra held her daughter's hands close to her, scanning her for any sign of emotion. Though Daena did her best to keep a straight face, her mother could see clear as day the pain in her eyes.

"He'll bend the knee...he will...I...I don't know why he did this, but...mother, I have to believe he will. He wouldn't do this to me." It was like Daena was trying to convince herself as she spoke. Her voice started to wobble slightly towards the end, but she kept her head up.

"And if he doesn't?" The queen asked plainly.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Daena mumbled under her breath as the two walked into the war room. She took her place by her brothers, while the whole room bowed their heads to Rhaenyra as she approached the table.

Rhaenyra was the definition of a leader with the way she carried herself. There wasn't a single person in that room that would've thought twice to follow her into battle. But she remembered her duty as heir, as her father told her 20 years ago.

The same duty she told her heir 6 years ago.

She could not plunge the realm into war. If war was to come, it would be at Aegon's command. And if that were to happen, the blacks would bring Fire and Blood.

"Before we begin, my first order as queen is to reinstate my daughter, Princess Daena Velaryon, as my heir. Thus, reinstating Prince Jacerys Velaryon as the heir to the Driftwood throne." Rhaenyra declared with her head held high.

Jace and Luke's eyes went wide with shock, but also excitement. It was a relief for both of them. Neither wanting to rule in the titles they were given all those years ago.

Daena was trying so hard to contain her smile, but it was useless the second both her brothers slipped their hands into hers. They gave her hands a squeeze of encouragement and after that, she was the spitting image of joy.

"Now what is our standing?" Rhaenyra asked after quite some time, almost nervous that someone would disagree. But thankfully, the whole room agreed in unison.

Luke stepped closer to his sister, whispering to her so no one could hear them. "Did you ask her to...?"

"No...she said this was always the plan for me." Daena whispered as Daemon went over their potential allies. "I'm sorry for that taking your title from you, brother. Truly, I am."

"Are you kidding me? I never wanted to be heir to Driftmark. Do you have any idea how good it feels to finally be able to breathe?" He chuckled under his breath, leaning into her arm. "Don't feel sorry for me. Honestly, sister. We've always wanted you as our mother's heir. Even Jace, if he won't admit to anyone else."

"Pray forgive my bluntness, Your Grace, but talk of men is moot. Your cause owns a power that has not been seen in this world since the days of Old Valyria. Dragons." One of the Lords chimed in.

"The Greens have dragons as well." Rhaenyra said.

"They have 3 adults, by my count." Jace chimed in.

"We have Syrax, Caraxes, Silverwing, Vermithor, and Melys. Our sons have Vermax, Arrax, Tyraxes, and Stormcloud. Baela has Moondancer." Daemon added.

"There are unclaimed dragons as well, m...Your Grace." Luke spoke up. For some reason, he felt more confident without the burden of being heir to Driftmark. Now he could spend his time fighting for his queen. Both of them.

Daena gave her brother a proud look and decided to back him up. "I can help anyone who wishes to claim them. Father has taught me well enough, and seeing as how I have done it twice, there should be no issue."