chapter five

I sit on the opposite side of the booth

I sit on the opposite side of the booth. The music plays throughout the small restaurant, faint but still there.

I stare out the window of the restaurant, looking at Riv's green truck, and wonder how the hell I managed to fuck up this badly.

Why did I even agree to this?

Does he even have biology?

There are so many questions that I am not going to get the answer to. God just being around him causes so many questions that go unanswered and he find away to give me a throbbing headache.

"Here you go, ma'am." Turning my gaze away from the window and over at River. A small tray with fries and a sandwich drops in front of me.

River swiftly slides into the booth. "What are you wanting now?" My mouth curled slightly at the end.

River shook his head with a chuckle. "If you want me to, then yes." I'm rolling my eyes at the dark-haired boy that sits across from me.

I dip one of my fries into ranch and plop it into my mouth. Fries are one of the foods that don't need sauce but are better with sauce.

River slides me a sauce cup that is filled with a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise. I didn't even see him make the sauce, but I know he had to have made it because it isn't a sauce that the restaurant makes.

Smacking River's hand when he tries to take one of my fries. "Ow!" He whined, pulling his hand back and looking up at me with a surprised look.

"What the hell?" He exclaimed.

I give him a dry look as I eat another one of my fries. "I paid for them." He argued, reaching for the tray. "Okay?" I say, yanking the tray out of his reach.

"They are mine. So ask." He rolls his eyes, scoffing at my comment. "Can I please have one?" He asked, plastering a fake smile on his face.

I hum, placing a finger on my chin as if I were thinking. "No!" I tease with a giggle and bite into another fry.

I watch a faint smile form onto his lips, a real smile which caused his dimples to show slightly. If he smiled like that more, I doubt he would ever get in trouble.

When I was little, I tried everything to get that smile out of him, but it never worked.

But it is now, which is a bit irritating. "So what do you need help with?" I ask and push the tray back into the middle of the table, letting him eat some of the fries he bought me.

"Help with what?" I stare at him for a moment as he dips his fries into some ranch. "With your biology." I remind him, shaking my head at his forgetfulness.

What did he do? Hit his head, and all of a sudden he is that fucking blue fish from finding Nemo?

Rivers' eyes widen slightly. "Oh yeah..." He pauses and looks out the window for a moment before continuing.