》Chapter 8《

Current date: 11/21/1899
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ever since the whole missing fabrics incident, me and Arthur have been bombarded with requests from people to find their missing things.

"Where's my cookie cutter?"

"Have you seen my coffee cup?"

"We lost our wedding rings!"

"Somebody stole my dog!"

It has been an EXHAUSTING 2 days. The coldness of November was not helping that either. Nevertheless, the buzz about the masquerade ball has been quite prominent. This gives me a good chance to help Odette get away from that abusive dick. I thought. I had been sitting at the dining table, lost in thought about how to catch Marcél in the act. "You know, it is so entertaining to watch all those thoughts go around your head like clouds." I heard Arthur tell me.

I had informed Arthur of the situation the day Odette finally came forward about the domestic violence she experiences at home. "You're trying to figure out how to free her from that man, aren't you?" He asks, taking a seat next to me. "You caught me. I'm just..so worried about her, Arthur. I mean..honestly, who knows how long she's been dealing with this?" I tell him, looking down. "Don't you worry, Madison, we'll get her out of there, no matter what it takes." He placed his arm around me.

It didn't feel like he was attempting to make a move on me like his usual flirty self, but more..comforting in a sense. I didn't say anything, I just leaned my head on his shoulder. It was silent...but it was a comfortable silence. No playful bickering, no insistent flirting, just comfort. Truly, I didn't even know a man like Arthur was capable of such a thing but..it felt nice.

"Hey, do cameras exist in this time period?" I asked him. "They do, why?" He asked me.

"We might need one."

++++

What had originally supposed to be us going camera shopping somehow turned into us shopping for masquerade masks. "What are we thinkin'? Yay or nay?" I asked him, placing a beautiful blue mask I had found up to my face. "That looks gorgeous, darling! It compliments you so perfectly!" He told me. I felt my cheeks heat up at his words. "Awe poo, you're so sweet, Arthur!" I tell him, my smile unwillingly crossing my face. "Oh my! Have I done it? Have I made Miss Madison blush?" He asked, leaning forward to see my already red cheeks.

I quickly covered my face as I laughed. "Now you'll never know!" "I have, haven't I?" His triumphant attitude made me laugh.

Arthur had told me he already had a mask at home. I assume he's already been to masquerades, so we went up to the front and paid. "Have a good day at the ball tomorrow!" The clerk yelled behind us.

"Are you ever going to show me what your dress looks like, Madison?" Arthur asks me. "Be patient, Arthur, you'll see it soon enough!" I told him. Though I couldn't wait for the masquerade, I also know that me and Arthur are also there as detective and assistant, working on freeing Odette from her husband.

"Madison, you're worrying again." Arthur says. I didn't know my thoughts were so obvious. "Ah, sorry sorry!" I quickly apologized. "Darling, rest assured, we will free Odette from that house." Arthur reassured me. I nodded at him. "Alright...I trust you." I told him. All my fears were immediately washed away when I saw Zarin and Leonardo making their way out from the pathway that led to the pond.

"Zarin!" I yelled, immediately throwing myself into her arms, backing off just as quickly when I felt how soaked her clothes were. "Jesus, what happened to you?" I asked her. "Ah, me and Leo were out on the river and the boat kinda sorta tipped over." She explains, standing awkwardly. "What are you guys doing here though?" She asked me. "Oh we were out mask shopping for the masquerade tomorrow!" I exclaim excitedly. "Oh right, we still have to do that, come on Leo!" Zarin says, walking off, Leo following in tow.

"Bye Zarin!" I shout behind me before continuing my walk with Arthur. "You know..I actually really like these outings with you Arthur." I say, looking out at the river. "You do..?" He asked me. "Yeah...I mean, they're fun and..I like hanging out with you." I tell him, a very faint blush dusting over my cheeks.

It was at that moment though that I had a horrible realization...

I've fallen in love with Arthur..!