Raised them right

TW: Abuse, Miscarriages, pregnancy, rape, drug abuse, death, threats, verbal abuse, physical abuse,

If any of you are in this situation please get help!

--

"Ya know, I was like their second mother when they were born, my papa was always working and my mama was just getting her dress shop running so she was always working... I raised them, and Diego, by myself what it felt like while in high school, I cooked and cleaned and raised my three brothers while in high school and taking night classes at my community college and working full time. It was a lot but I did it. It wasn't until I moved out that my mother relaxed a bit with working and hired other workers to help her and she finally took her mothering job back." I turn and look at Emily. I just hug her and she sets my bag down and holds me. I feel like if I let go that she will disappear.

"You raised them right." She says softly

"I tried, but I can't stop this, and Diego, he hangs out with the wrong crowd, I just hope he doesn't fall into it like I did." I say shaking my head and letting her go, I grab my suitcase and carry it into her room, I pull out a pair or shorts and Emily's FBI academy hoodie to put on and walk into the bathroom. By the time I am out I see Emily in sweat pants and pulling an AC/DC shirt down. I set my other clothes neatly packed in my suitcase and just stand their awkwardly.

"Mena, As much as I love that you brought my hoodie to my house, when you have an unlimited access, I want to talk to you about what you just said." Emily states while walking over to me. I was really dreading this conversation but she will find out anyway if we question Jackie. She puts her hands on my hips and backs into the bed so I am standing between her legs.

"Ok, well there is a lot so I am glad you're sitting down, umm I guess I will just start at the beginning. Um, so when I first got into high school it was definitely a different environment, I skipped 7th and 8th grade when I entered it so I was still pretty young, and all you want to do is fit in. I guess I wasn't thinking about my future at the time, but I started hanging out with this girl named Jackie..." I trailed off

"Yea, I remember your mom saying something about her parents, she was the one crying at the crime scene... It was her parents who died wasn't it and her brother who was in the fight.  wasn't it?" Emily states, I just nod before continuing, her hands never leaving my hips. I don't want them to leave, they are bringing me a lot of comfort.

"Yea, when I started hanging out with her she started doing small things like buying illegal drugs, taking them, smoking, snorting, injecting, etc. But she was not a good person but she was my only friend. She pressured me into doing them before she umm..." Emily nods, encouraging me to continue. "Before she introduced me to Alejandro... Him and I started dating but what I didn't know until too late was that he was Jackie's drug dealer. He forced me to take oxytocin on many occasions, shoving it down my throat or slipping it in my food, but I couldn't leave him. So I put up with him, he would threaten my family and friends. He would hit me, scream at me, hurt me, and make me feel so belittled. Like I was... nothing..." I start to cry but I quickly wipe the tears away. Emily goes to hold me but I stop her. "I need to finish."

"Jackie and Alejandro would make me do runs, and if I didn't do them Alejandro would hit me, he once held me at gunpoint because I refused to go one day, this would go on for all of my high school years. I eventually got caught on purpose towards the end of my senior year and I ratted them out and they went to jail, I got everything excused and expunged. Then about 4 weeks after they were arrested, I found out that Alejandro didn't use condoms when he would rape me... I don't think I ever noticed, because I about fainted when I found out I was pregnant. My mama and papa accepted me and didn't make me feel bad, because after I got caught, I had explained every thing to them and the cops. I had gone to rehab for 2 weeks. Through all of that I managed to keep my above average grades somehow and I managed to finish school valedictorian, I had the baby 3 months premature... and she uhh..." I started sobbing, no one knew besides Diego and my parents. "She uhm, didn't make it. From my abuse of oxycontin and my sudden stop of using it caused her heart to fail when she left my womb and she didn't make it. I visit her every Monday, when I have dinner with my parents that night, and if we are working a case my mom will go put fresh flowers at her grave for me and she will face time me so I can talk to my Esperanza."