thirty nine

The men walked closer, and I sank myself in the lake further until just my head was visible. The water lapped at my chin and I wrapped my arms around myself to try to hide whatever was on show. I didn't like the way he was eyeing me; it made my skin crawl.

Were they rogues? Were these the wolves that they had warned me about? They didn't seem crazy.

"What are you doing out here?" The middle man wondered.

I swallowed, my eyes darting between them as they stopped at the edge of the lake, mere metres away from me. I was sure they could reach me in a split second, their shifter ability of speed way greater than mine.

His nose twitched as the wind blew my hair into my face, a sly smirk lifting his features. For the first time in a while, I felt fear creep up my spine. The way this man's eyes flashed and how his sharpened teeth glinted did not settle right with me.

"What are you doing out here, little human?" He asked again.

I stayed silent, and he cocked his head, his eyes scanning beneath the water. I pushed my body back further, my feet slipping from the surface of the lake as I grew deeper.

"What's wrong? Can't speak?" He teased, a loud laugh escaping his throat that caused me to jump.

His two friends snickered as he tapped them on the chest with the back of his hands. I licked my lips, my throat and mouth dry with fear as the urge to run hummed through my body. His eyes followed the movement of my tongue, quirking with interest. He suddenly lowered himself until he was crouching, his long black coat trailing along the floor, and his hand gently dipped into the surface of the lake.

Holding my gaze, a small purr built in his throat. "What are you doing out here, all alone?"

"She's not alone."

I jumped in surprise, my head spinning to the side as Asra rounded the rock formation of the lake. He walked quickly, smoothly, jumping over a large rock until he stood about two metres before the three men. Asra was shirtless, clad in just some shorts and barefoot. He stood at the lake's edge, a towel in his hands and angling his back so it was blocking me.

The man rose to his feet, sneering at Asra with what I assumed was indifference.

"Alpha, so glad to see you again." He bowed his head, hands clapping in front of him.

Asra grumbled. "Alpha Blake, we directly instructed you where to enter my territory and what trail to walk."

My shoulders straightened; the visiting Alpha's name had come as a surprise. I was glad they were not rogues, but it did not stray from the fact he was not to be trusted.

Blake chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. "When I smell something delectably feminine and ovulating, I cannot help but seek it out. Fertility always smells... divine."

A cold wash of dread ran down my spine, along with the sudden urge to vomit from disgust. Fertile? Delectable? What even was this man? No, I didn't want to know. I really wanted to get out of here.

Asra didn't like it. His head turning to meet my eyes as he held out the towel.

"Come here."

I hesitated, glancing between him and the visiting men. My gaze settled back on Asra, my fear clear on my face. His eyes were hard, dark blue, swirling against the hard contours of his face.

"Ailia, come here." He repeated.

I swallowed, deciding he was the lesser of two evils, and nodded gently.

I moved closer to him, quickly inching out of the water and running to his side. I was aware of the multiple eyes on my body and Asra was quick to grab me by the arm and push me behind him. My hands fell to the hard skin of his shoulders as I hid behind him.