sixty

I held my breath as the tension in my head increased. Asra kept his expression stern as he focused his attention on finding out what was upsetting me. I swallowed before allowing my most recent thoughts back into my mind, fresh as the moment I conceived them.

His gaze hardened, and the crease between his brows deepened. Silence beat as loudly as my heart in my chest, my stomach churning with anxiety. When he eventually pulled his mind from mine, I let out a loud exhale.

Asra ran his hand through his hair, his claws digging into the tangles. A small growl whispered past his lips as he stared hard at the blanket covering my lap. Eventually he sighed, taking my hands and holding my gaze.

"I did not know you felt this way." He murmured. "You are safe with me, Ailia."

The affirmation of my name had my eyes closing to force back tears. My shoulders sagged, my heart heavy with emotion.

Asra stood, climbing into the bed to sit beside me. His arms wrapped around my torso, pulling me into him so my head rested on his chest. My body felt alive at his warm touch. Even when sleeping, we didn't get close like this. I could hear the pace of his heart, slighter faster than a human. I assumed that was down to his quicker metabolism and healing powers.

"Nothing like that will happen to you with me around." His chest rumbled with each word. "You are my mate and holding even just my mark gives you the protection you desire."

I rubbed my cheek along his chest. A silent answer of thanks.

"Blake cannot touch you anymore. I locked him in my dungeon." Asra continued. "As for the buyer... I have my men raiding their camp today hoping to find any paperwork."

"And then what?" I sniffled.

"Then we will find anyone involved and I will kill them where they stand." He growled. "I promise you this."

I tried to swallow past the lump in my throat. The dread of his promise had my stomach churning with fear. How could someone just so willingly kill another person without guilt or conscience?

"You do not need to be scared, Ailia. Everything has just hit you all at once." He squeezed me. "I think the reality of the situation, paired with being thrown into a normal life, has caused the shock to wear off."

"Period sucks too."

He chuckled softly; the sound shaking my head. "Yes. I suppose that too. Did you like what I brought you?"

I smiled, squeezing the hot water bottle tighter between us. "I do, thank you."

"Why so embarrassed, then? I am here to help you."

I flushed. "It's just odd. I still need to get used to some of the... opinions living here."

"It is not opinion, mere fact. Females bleed to ensure fertility, but it causes great stress upon your body and mind. The least I can do is make sure I look after you." He explained. "And when you are pregnant, I will never let you lift a finger."

There he goes again, wringing every piece of emotion from my heart like a wet towel.

He noticed my distress. "What is it?"

I hesitated before sighing. "You say that so casually."

"You are my mate for life Ailia, you bear my mark and it is only a matter of time before you are mine forever." A hand trailed down my shoulder to rest on my waist.

"It's just crazy to think about." I murmured.

"To me, it is normal. But... I think I understand you more now."