twenty five

That night I had trouble sleeping. An uncomfortable cramp kept me up at night that had me counting the weeks and days since I had been here. The urge to escape became stronger as the sleepless hours went on.

I needed to get out.

I had Alpha blood in my system. I healed exceptionally well, so now was my time to escape. Before it wore off and I became feeble once more.

Of course, my monthly bleed would come when I woke after a night of painful stomach aches that had me gasping for breath. I had never had such strong pains before. Perhaps the night in the magical lake decided it would be a good cleanse for my body...

Perhaps my body just wanted me to get eaten by the wolves...

That morning I climbed my way out of the bed, ripping the blood-stained sheets off with me. I carried them into the bathroom and ran them under the tap before I showered.

I hoped the blood wouldn't stain, but I had not done my laundry here before. I could not find any cleaning products, not even salt, in the bathroom.

Once I was clean, I rifled through the cupboard once more in search of some sanitary products, only to come up short. I usually wore a cup, being the most comfortable and discreet option back home. Plus, Darius had enjoyed it. It meant he would never have to see blood in my underwear. Such a strange man... But here, I couldn't even find a sanitary towel, so I had to make do with toilet roll and hope I found Eve quickly.

Dressing in the largest clothes I had available, I breathed through another wonderful stomach cramp as I gathered the sheets and made my way downstairs. It was early, around seven, and I hoped that meant there would be less traffic around.

I stumbled across a female in the kitchen, dressed in soft cotton clothes as she organised the kitchen. I assumed she was one of these 'maids' Eve told me about and cleared my throat softly to announce my presence.

"Excuse me," I mumbled, and she turned to face me. "Could you help me find the laundry room, please? I've forgotten where it is."

Her eyebrows creased in confusion as she wiped her hands on her apron. "You don't need to do that, Lu-Miss, someone will come round later."

I shook my head, stepping away from her outstretched hands. I felt embarrassed, heat flushing my cheeks as I let out a shaky laugh.

"I know, it's just... I would rather do these... by myself..." I worried.

Her head cocked as she studied me and then the white sheets in my hands. I watched with pained horror as her nose wrinkled and nostrils flared before an understanding took over her features.

"Oh, I see!" She smiled bashfully. "Nothing to be ashamed of. I'll show you where it is."

I breathed an awkward thank you and followed her as she led me out of the kitchen. She had light blonde hair in a ponytail and warming brown eyes. She was more petite than some wolves I had come across, around my height with soft curves. Perhaps the hierarchy was like wild animals? Eve said they were primal creatures, so perhaps the weaker wolves became the maids? Asra was strong and large, and he was the Alpha so...

Made sense, right?

We walked through the kitchen, my hungry eyes taking in the gleaming white countertops and shining golden wolf shaped handles. I loved this kitchen.

Opening a door at the bottom of the room, we walked into a brief hallway before realisation dawned on me. Eve had taken me around the house before, sure, but I had only been in here once and my brain forgot. But now I was here, I soon remembered this room.