forty two

"What is this?" I gawked.

Smoothing my hands down the dress Piper had given me, I didn't realise the style she had chosen. In all of the rush, I only just managed to pull it on before she was dragging me from the room. It was a tight, body-con style dress with a sharp neckline and spaghetti straps. I now realise why she forced me into a strapless push up bra.

"We're already out of your room, you cannot back out now." Piper sang, leading me by the hand.

"It's pink!" I shouted in protest as we waited for the elevator. "I have never worn pink. I am too ginger for pink!"

"Nonsense!" She chirped, pushing me inside. "Look at yourself and tell me that you don't see a banging body."

Glaring at her, I begrudgingly looked at myself in the mirrored wall. The doors shut behind me and the lurch of my stomach had me scowling but... Okay, maybe it wasn't so bad. It was dark pink and soft, apparently something called velvet. It was tight at my hips and waist, but soft and supple at my chest. I ran my hand over the soft material, adjusting the straps.

"I let you wear flats with it too!" Piper pouted, batting her eyelashes.

"Okay, okay. Fine, it's not... terrible." I murmured.

My hair was naturally wild. Not having enough time to tame the loose curls, it flowed round my ears and down my shoulders. She somehow managed to get mascara on my eyes without poking my eyeball out of its socket, so that was also a plus.

The elevator doors chimed open, and with barely a minute to spare, Piper and I rushed to the dining room. We luckily arrived just as some other wolves did, a guard by the door giving us a once-over scowl.

Walking inside, the dining room was packed full of the entire pack. All of the tables had been pushed into three long lines, black runners and placemats for every seat. A harsh sweat broke out on my underarms, and I was grateful for the feminine perfume Piper had shared with me. Clearing my throat softly to try avoid my anxiety, I followed her to one of two remaining pairs of seats.

She gave me a reassuring smile as we approached them and I returned the gesture. Unbeknownst to me, the seats that she chose were near the head of the table. Forcing me to sit to her left, my eyebrows narrowed at the figure opposing me. It was one of Blake's henchman, the other one on his right, my left, and two empty seats where I assumed Blake would sit.

The head seat was empty too, the single chair looking lonely against the width of the table. On my left sat Everett, Caleb and Eliza. Upon seeing me, she urged Caleb and Everett to swap seats so I could sit next to her. It took a moment of arguing, however, apparently the hierarchy would be backwards but Eliza gave her best puppy eyes and won them over.

Sitting next to me, her hair brushed a soft floral scent over my nose.

"Hey." She huffed, pulling her chair in. "You look amazing."

I smiled softly, appraising her satin red dress. "So do you."

Piper nudged me just as I was about to continue talking and I turned to shoot her a look of questioning but I soon realised the cause. Everyone at the tables hushed before standing as Asra and Blake entered, Rio trailing behind them. I awkwardly stood at the formal gesture, pulling the dress down to try and hide some thigh.

Asra stood at the foot of the table, Rio to his left before Blake.

"Evening everyone." Asra spoke. "Thank you all for coming tonight. As you know we have a guest, so please welcome Alpha Blake and his men from the Medea Pack."

Everyone awkwardly bowed and Blake's lips curled into a smirk as he politely said hello. I couldn't help but look away, the dreaded fear settling in my stomach again. Piper must've noticed because her hand clasped mine under the table and I gave her a small smile of thanks. She was sat to my right, and I would just have to use her as a distraction so I didn't have to look to my left.