Race against time

I was in a hurry. I only had 24 hours before he came back and I had to play it right. I didn't have to focus my mind on what lay ahead in case I didn't find a way to get him that damn computer.

I didn't care about that at that moment, no matter how big it had been in its allusion. I was interested in getting home. But I was more interested in being able to figure out where we were. That was what I had to focus on.

Because I was certain that when he got what he wanted he would eliminate me. At best. So I began to sift through my options. I could have asked to make a phone call. But they would have made it too short to be traced.

I should have written a letter, pen and paper the old-fashioned way. I should have thought faster than light. I got up from the chair and pushed it hard against the wall. Who knows if I would have been able to climb it and get to the window.

That slit in the wall seemed so high to me...I cursed my being a little woman. Mother nature could have made me ten or fifteen cm taller dammit. Getting into that chair was impossible. The pain prevented me from making movements with fluency. It had already been difficult to get up from the floor.

I was even burning from the cut he had given me, damn psycho. I was going to try again in a little while. I sat back down again. And I thought until I dozed off. I dreamed. I dreamed of Phil, he was leaving and I couldn't stop him.

I woke up, sad as if it had been real. I was afraid I would never see him again. No, fuck no! Get your ass up Hailey, move it, that's enough! I got up, and tried again to get in that damn chair.

A moan of pain escaped me, I lifted my shirt, a huge hematoma had appeared. It was shaped like a sole. The hell with it. I still had to make it. And I did make it. I barely made it to the edge of the window. I tried to lean out by hoisting myself up even on my toes.

And I managed to carry my gaze over the edge. I fell ruinously and noisily to the ground, dragging my chair behind me, which hit me exactly where I had already been hit, I could not refrain from wailing loudly. If they hadn't killed me so far, I wasn't going to get away with it this time. I huddled in a corner scared and in pain waiting for the end.

No one came. And I started crying without making a sound. I started crying because I had been afraid and realized that without meaning to, he was winning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He had watched her from the camera she had not noticed at all, could not have. Too small and too well hidden. He had watched her fall as she tried to look out and ended up getting hit by the chair like a fool. He had left it because she was too low to reach anyway. Or too high the window. Points of view.

And he had been pleased when she started crying. He couldn't hear the audio but he was convinced she wasn't making too much noise anyway. She was crying. Good. That meant she was afraid, and fear did two things. It either stopped you completely or it made you start cooperating, obeying, to try not to succumb.

And no, such a woman did not think she would Stopped herself, although she could not say that with absolute certainty. In not too many hours he would be back to see if she had thought right or not. If not, Markus would be there to clear her head before time. He turned everything off and decided that he would leave her without eating. So that he could bend her over a little more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had made up my mind. I knew what I had to do. It was going to go the way it was going to go. I wasn't going to get out of there anyway, they probably wouldn't find us in time, and I knew he would never let me go, but I wasn't going to come out a loser. As a loser never.

Forgive me Phil if I don't go home. I found no other way than this to leave something of me in there, in a shred of hope that at least that would be found. In the fall, the wooden chair had lost a splinter but too small to be used as a weapon unfortunately.

And so I found myself busy spending time scratching into the stone of the darkest wall the initials P. H. with a funny, childish, infinity symbol.
Phil and Hailey forever. Yes I know, a childish thing, somewhere between pathetic and romantic. But it was all I had to leave him a trace of me and my love.

My thoughts went to Jessy who continued to feel guilty about how she felt about Jake. My friend don't waste your time wondering if it's right or wrong, live because look how quickly you lose this life. I waited for him to come back to tell him what I had decided. Right or wrong it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Phil's pov

I felt like a caged lion, I could have killed someone with my bare hands. She was not there, she had disappeared into thin air and was definitely injured. I had seen her traces of blood on the ground outside the car. I couldn't stand standing there doing nothing dammit! The life and salvation of the woman I loved was in the hands of the person I least tolerated in the world since I was a Little more a teenager and it was all my fault.

I should not have let her go alone at night. I should have gone with her, she had asked me but I didn't want to go and she had respected me and not insisted. She had kissed me, wiped off a trace of lipstick by running her thumb over my lips, smiled at me and went out.

I still remember how she was dressed on the doorstep. The black shirt, jeans and low boots. Her hair down. I have to find her, I feel like I'm going crazy. Now I know what it feels like. I know what she went through when he disappeared. And I'm asked to sit here instead of going out and looking for her.

I am squeezing my sister's hand as if she can save me from this hell I feel inside. Just so I don't scare her I don't go out of here like crazy. I also have to go home to Cerberus. He doesn't hate me anymore and must be waiting for food. If he had at least been there with her.... he would have protected her.

"Jessy, I have to go feed Cerberus, please can you come with me?"

I thought that woman was right. I had to stay whole for her. Walking out of there, I looked into her room, her office. I went in. It wouldn't do any good to be a child. I was just a stupid bartender. He wasn't. He looked up from the screen, darkened it, and looked at me.
"Please. Take her back home" .

He nodded decisively only with his head. Maybe a little because he was speechless about me talking to him or maybe because he was too focused on what he was doing. But that was enough for me. I know he was going to do his best. I saw my sister as I left, caressing his face and him resting his hand on hers as he did so. I pretended it was nothing. I thought he was a lucky man.