The past returns

It was less than 24 hours away, and the man with the Rolex was looking forward to having his treasure back in his hands. He had opened the safe and was polishing one of his wife's toys.

"Yes I think I will use this," he said, choosing a Sig Sauer P365. A little too small for her hands, but then again, it was a woman's weapon. It would fit the target. A small weapon for a small woman.

He was still undecided whether he would shoot her in the head to end her agony immediately or let her gasp on the floor for a while by hitting some non-vital organ so that she would slowly bleed to death on the floor.

He would choose by feel when the time came. He put the gun back in its case and went for a swim in the private pool of his large mansion.

~~~~~~~~~~

She returned. Jessy returned to the barracks thoughtful and sad. She had not been able to find Cerberus medicine and was seriously worried because maybe she really needed it but could not ask Phil. Strange that when they had gone home the previous time he had not told her about it. She went straight to the room where she knew she would find Jake.

"I haven't found anything. I need to talk to Phil please. I haven't figured out where they keep them and he definitely knows. I don't tell him about the letter. I'll tell him that she told me about it and I just remembered it today."

He wasn't convinced it was the right thing to do, not without talking it over with Amanda and Alan first but how could he say no to her when she was looking at him like that? Besides, after all, it was an innocent question, that's all she was going to tell him.

"All right. I'll accompany you though. Forgive me, it's not out of distrust, I swear. I just want to make sure you don't break down, do it for him."

"I won't. Come with me because I'm afraid. And if you are with me, I have a little less."

His heart widened at hearing that sentence. And he thought he really was a jerk. Their Hailey was in serious danger, and he was getting carried away by teenage heartbeats. He wiped the smile off his face and became serious again. Like that old Jake who was afraid of feelings, the one who always ran away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                        Phil's pov

I had succeeded like an asshole in getting myself locked up! I should have killed him, at least it would have been justified to throw me in a cell.
I had fallen asleep and had a horrible dream where she told me she was going away forever.

I sat down on that kind of cot; it was uncomfortable. I instantly regretted what I had thought. The woman I loved more than myself certainly wasn't sleeping in a five-star hotel. I was such a jerk.

I looked at my hand. I wasn't sure I hadn't broken anything but I didn't care. I just wanted her to come home. Please Hailey come home.

"Your mere absence is felt far more than anyone else's presence."

                             William Shakespeare

I have never cried in my life, ever, but this time I came very close. I was angry, hurt, scared. No, I was terrified. If it was about me no, I have often been in uncomfortable situations, but it was about her.

And I couldn't do anything no matter how hard I was banging. I was completely useless and that was the thing that hurt the most. I had not been able to protect her and I was not able to save her. I was only able to break my fucking hand and get locked up. Like a real asshole.

Someone was coming, will it be that strange woman again? Will she have to lecture me again?
Ah no. It's just Jessy. Poor Jessy, I've seen how she's trying so hard not to break down, to give me strength. When I think how badly I treated her in the past. She's with him.

Lately I always see them close together. I swear if Hailey brings me back I will bury the hatchet forever.

"Phil I need to ask you something. I remembered that Cerberus has to take medicine and you forgot. But it's obvious, with all that's going on. I'll take care of it if you tell me exactly where they are."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She received in return a puzzled look from his brother, resting his face in the cold metal bars of the cell he was in.

"Jessy what medicine?" She was holding the top of her nose between her thumb and forefinger. Her fingers slid under her eyes and then over her cheeks and under her chin. He always did this when he was under pressure and trying not to explode. He had done it even when Hailey had thrown the keys at him in the lawn.

Mentally he relived that scene. He had to stop reliving these memories; it hurt him to think of her who knows where.

"The dog ones Phil, sorry, I know you're under pressure but he needs them and so I thought that--"

She was interrupted bluntly.
"Jessy dammit, I don't know what the heck you're talking about!" She did not throw another punch only because she instantly regretted raising her voice and scaring her sister, and she did not deserve it.

Jessy looked puzzled at Jake who had remained in the doorway. She received another puzzled look in return.
It was Phil who broke the silence this time without shouting.

"I don't know what you are talking about Jessy. Cerberus is perfectly fine and he is not on any medication and I am very sure of that because at the last vet check I personally took him to Dr. Elsner. If you are playing guessing games know that I can't do it" He was tired, really really tired. He wished he could sleep forever. Until they found her.

"I swear Phil I'm not playing at..." He was about to start crying. It was all so surreal.

She was interrupted by Jake's scream.

"Damn the riddles! What an asshole, I had to get there right away. Jessy come with me! Phil forgive me I don't have time to explain everything now. I'll go bring her home to you!" And disappeared up the stairs at lightning speed.

Jessy only had to follow him, murmuring an apology to her brother, who stood there, clinging to the bars, not understanding what the heck they were talking about. 

The two of them had played with it in the past and he had forgotten. But sometimes the past comes back and makes itself useful.