Disobedience

With the complicity of a strangely compliant Amanda, Phil managed to get permission to bring Cerberus inside the hospital. After all, he was still a police dog. The deal, however, was that him would bring him to her at night and then him would leave. She would bring Cerberus back to home, because she did not want Phil to stick around but to go home. Because she knew the man was a loose cannon when it came to her.

"Come on beast, I'll take you to her but be quiet though and don't try to eat anyone!" she admonished him as they snuck down the hallway. He hadn't even finished saying that he had to hold him because Cerberus had pointed at a doctor - ah, you and your hatred of men dammit - so he shortened his leash and entered the room.
They had told him nothing, and the surprise when she saw them enter was enormous for both of them.

"Hush hush, you'll get caught and they'll send us all away," Hailey told him as he stood up with his front paws on the side of the bed and squealed with delight.

"It's all right, he's on duty with me today. Don't make me regret it though eh, keep him quiet," replied a strangely smiling Amanda, amused by that family picture.

She watched the way those two looked at each other, complicit and in love. Even that dog had stopped hating him. He must have realized, too, that the man deserved to be by her side without eating it. However, he also found himself thinking that she, Amanda Garcia, was perfectly fine on her own because she had a free spirit and had no, no intention of settling down. Bedfellows many. But nothing more. Maybe she'd get a dog, that she would.

"Now come on, it's time for you to go. Now." she told him, pointing to the door.

Phil looked at her, raised his hands in surrender, gave his beloved a quick kiss and disappeared faster than light. He had gotten a big concession, and he didn't want to be his usual stubborn self. Or at least that was the intention. But something in the main hallway at the moment he was leaving caught his attention. He saw a nurse enter. And so far there would be nothing strange. But what was strange was his shifts. She had already seen him that morning and so the previous morning.

But he knew it was not usual as a thing, because the nurses rotated on three different alternating shifts. And he knew because his sister, the one who lived far away, worked in a hospital of all places and had asked him about it in those very days. Because he had never been quiet since that damned bouquet had arrived, and he suspiciously watched anything or anyone moving within range of the room in which she had been placed. For a moment he also thought that he was becoming paranoid but in the end he also thought that being cautious wouldn't hurt anyone anyway. So he decided that he would stick around. And if he got caught Amanda would make something up.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Amanda's pov

We chatted for a while that night as soon as he left. She thanked me for saving her life by driving so fast. There was no way I was going to let her die there, not alone. However it had gone I would have brought her home, I had grown fond of that girl. When she disappeared I was reminded of my sister, that must be why I felt that at least she I had to bring her home alive. Because I knew what it meant for those left behind. I knew what the pieces were to be picked up by those who survive the death of a loved one under similar circumstances.

In any case, she was alive and she was not safe. She never would have been if we hadn't caught him and not only would she not have been from that individual but also from his mental monsters. She didn't say anything, at least not to me, of course. But I know that a woman potentially suffers much more than a man can.
I convinced her to go to sleep, and I think I dozed off at one point, too. I was jolted awake by a commotion just outside the door, the dog under the bed had already stirred and woke her up too I didn't like that situation at all and I didn't like the look of fear I saw in her eyes.

Even less did I like seeing Cerberus's teeth on display and the bristly fur on his back. I unbuckled my holster, freeing access to my weapon, and decided to open the door while still motioning to her to keep the dog at bay. I did not want it to devour perhaps a nurse or another resident who had slammed into some cart.
Don't make me regret bringing you, beast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phil's pov

I had followed him at a distance from the entrance. I knew by physical appearance it couldn't be him but I still didn't like him. He had not noticed me; I had been quite observant. I just wanted to observe him and avoid in case I made a bad impression that would allow Amanda to discover my "disobedience." I didn't like the guy and I didn't even know why. They would have dismissed it with the usual fact that I was jealous of her. Well yes, that's the truth. I'm jealous sure but I'm not a fool. I don't have that kind of morbid jealousy that makes you check and doubt everything.

I thought it would probably be good for me to have a talk with Dr. Ulric, too, because maybe I was getting too influenced by that event. I was afraid yes. Afraid for her. But maybe it was also normal since someone was still threatening her. And so I followed him. He took the stairs so I took the elevator and went straight up to the floor where she is. And I hid. Maybe I was going to look like shit but whatever. I hid in the dressing room leaving the door ajar. And I saw him coming.

I didn't know what to think really, I didn't want to attack someone for no reason but I kept finding no normality in this. It was when I saw him put his hand behind his back and approach his door that I made the decision to come up behind him. He was so absorbed that he had not heard me, and when I noticed up close that he had a hunting knife in his hand I lost my mind. It was him, the bloody bastard, and he had come back to finish the job. I was blinded by rage, I had never felt such anger and I attacked him.

He found himself displaced by surprise but I found myself displaced as well when the door to his room suddenly opened and for a moment I looked away, worried that it might be her, Hailey, at the door. Simultaneously with the realization that it was Amanda I felt a forearm burn. That big piece of shit had hurt me and quite deeply, too. It was a surreal scene. I saw him running away up the stairs, and at the same time Amanda told me to stay with her and get medical attention immediately, and she told her to let Cerberus go, who didn't ask twice to jump in pursuit.

Whenever there was work to be done, he would rejuvenate with a bang, I was glad he was there. I would have to deal with Amanda later but at least she wasn't alone with the guy. I saw them both disappear around the bend in the hallway, grabbed a towel from a cart and wrapped myself up as best I could. To hell with the dressings now. I needed to hug her, she was scared, I was going to get the dressing later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amanda's pov

I opened the door wide and was confronted with a surreal scene. Phil was still there and attacking a nurse. I didn't have time to think that I was going to kill him for disobeying me, that at the same time he was stabbed in the forearm, so I realized that this was not a nurse at all but the one we were waiting for although different in appearance. As soon as he saw me she ran off into the hallway and before I launched into pursuit I managed to tell her to let the dog go, heaven had willed her to stay that night and she could be really useful to me.

I also succeeded in intimating to Phil to stay with her and get medication immediately. He wouldn't disobey me this time, he wouldn't leave her alone if I wasn't there. I saw him going up the stairs, he's pretty much screwed because there's just the terrace and the ventilation motors. But I have to be careful because with that noise I probably won't hear it and the dog won't hear it. He was waiting for me growling outside the door that communicated with the outside. The bastard had managed to put enough distance between us to have time for the door to close behind him. I had to admit, he was fast. But now he was trapped.