five

Yujun touched at the small gem-like rock attached to the back of his neck, worriedly tugging at it to feel how loose it was. Junmin took the gloves off his hands, tossing it to the side. "We've attached it to you using nanobots that were already on the Signet. If we ever want to remove it, we'll have to go to that lab we just destroyed because the only technology that exists regarding these is there."

"Looks stable," Minjae hummed. "The Signet will mend to your body in a few hours, and you'll... excrete the nanobots as waste. It'll bind to your spine and give you the ability to use it, but in a few hours tops. Get a good rest tonight, okay? We have things to do tomorrow."

"We haven't given him a room yet," Junmin commented, earning a blank stare from the other. "We were quite busy today, to be fair..."

Minjae sighed to himself. "We'll get a room done. You can explore the base for about fifteen minutes — just head to the third floor, and you'll see me there waiting for you."

"I've launched the Jackal scanner, and Jinsik has secured the perimeter with Chroma mines. Hunter will be up for a while in the workshop to make more of his gadgets," Junmin said, pressing a button on the table to turn the projection screens off. "See you tomorrow morning, Yujunnie."

Yujun bowed his head slightly, eyes flicking over to Minjae with uncertainty. Minjae just frowned, leaving the room without another word. Yujun pouted slightly to himself, wondering if he was being awkward. Minjae disappeared in a quick flash, using his Signet to move faster. Yujun walked out the main room, walking down the staircase to the first floor.

"It's late."

Seeun stood at the entrance door, arms crossed as he watched Yujun stop in the middle of the staircase. "S-Seeun."

"You can rest up in my room," the tall blonde offered, chuckling when Yujun frowned slightly. "I'm serious. Third floor, room 4. I'll be up in a moment — just doing a last-minute perimeter check before I lock up. Hunter and Jinsik's traps activate within ten minutes, so I'm... just looking around."

"I'll wait for you."

Yujun sat down on the staircase, resting his head on his lap quietly. Seeun glanced out the door for a few seconds before deactivating his gadget and closing the reinforced metal door, the heavy metal scraping ever so slightly against the floor. The door clicked as it locked, and Seeun walked over to Yujun. "Wanna take the long way upstairs?"

"Sure."

Seeun and Yujun walked beside one another in silence. One was okay with silence — the other was not. Yujun glanced about here and there, wondering what every room was for. "Storage."

"And that one?"

"Storage again. But different storage. We all gave a storage room of materials for our gadgets — except Minjae hyung and myself. Mine is self-repairing nanotechnology, so I almost never need maintenance."

"You're all so gifted," Yujun muttered, glancing down. "All I did was learn how to hold a gun and abandon my friends when the going gets tough."

"I know you told Junmin about our past."

Yujun looked up at the other with a deep frown. "Why would you listen in to my conversations?"

"I was using my gadget," Seeun answered quickly, "and I saw two heartbeats right outside the main room. Junmin's was... really fast."

"He seemed nervous."

"He hardly speaks to strangers," Seeun answered, "but what if he likes you?"

"Pfft." Yujun glanced at Seeun, a small smile on his lips. "He's competing with you, then."