Chapter 2:.....Empowered Part I

Hard times change a person because pain changes you. It makes you into something that once you are altered in this way, you can't go back to what you once were. Before that fateful May day, Ember was a fairly content little child, but after she found herself lying broken and battered on the concrete floor of E-Corp., she became someone new – something new. Suddenly that fear or discomfort that all the other children had somewhat experienced when they were around her was as clear as day to her.

The question then arises: why did E-Corp. let her live? Why did she let herself live? The answer to both questions essentially comes down to the fact that sometimes there are worse punishments than death. So, let's talk about this punishment of hers. Let's really break it down. What happens when you take a relatively content little girl out of the world, break her until she's a cracked-up version of the person she was becoming, then force her back into the world and remind her constantly that she's not normal, she doesn't fit it, and she doesn't deserve the life she craves anyway? How about we start with her first day back trying to be a normal kid? Factually speaking, the story begins about three years and two months after she died for the first time.

"Ms. Crimson! It's time for your first training session today." Boomed Abraham as he walked through the threshold into her room.

"Do I have to? I've been binge-watching The Real Housewives of Orange County for the past three weeks, and I'm up to season twelve. It's just getting good. Shannon's clearly suffering from a hormonal imbalance, and Lydia has the best catchphrase ever! Do you want to know what it is?" She said with an impish smile.

"Ms. Crimson, I have never, nor will I ever watch that show. Now, it's time for training. So, turn your television off and meet me in the studio in five minutes. Don't make me force Alpha Squad to come and get you." Abraham said in a calm and authoritative voice.

"If you can't take my sparkle, then stay off my rainbow!" Ember yelled after Abraham as he left the room.

"Aww – man. Another day of training. Same old, same old. I'm so goddamn bored." She sighed heavily. "But maybe that's for the best; I think we all know what happens when I feel something other than numb." She said out loud to herself, even though no one was listening.

Ember talks to herself a lot now, mainly because she has no friends and doesn't really feel connected to anybody because of the fact that her "keepers" (as she calls them) at E-Corp. make sure she has total control over her feelings and remains in pretty much a constant state of numbness, unable to form deep bonds with anyone because that would require her to feel something like love or even a somewhat strong sense of comradery or familiarity. Ember's life at E-Corp. is very lonely, so as you will see, she has become bitter and sarcastic, and unfortunately, her mental health, despite the best efforts of her "keepers" at E-Corp., is beginning to unravel. However, I should mention, although it will become quite clear, that in an effort to combat all the negativity and pain, her sense of humor has taken a very dark and demented turn.

"All right! I'm coming!" She yelled again, even though Abraham was clearly long gone. She got off her bed and didn't bother to change into her training outfit because she was always wearing it. In fact, it was the only outfit he owned or had worn for the past three years. She also readjusted her bright blonde hair into a much neater top-not bun right in the middle of her head, which is the only way she wore her hair now. She traded her regular glasses for her training goggles (discovering she inherited her father's nearsightedness when she was twelve).